Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

561 - 580 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Found about 60 more freshies after work ! :) - and yes the Ray Charles are the large yellow morels that can be easily seen from the road or from afar; only a blind person would not be able to see them ;) View attachment 4745
I don’t know how you guys are still finding fresh ones, supposed to be close to 80 and windy today in northern Arkansas, I’m afraid things are going to be done if we don’t get rain tomorrow they’re predicting. Even in the lower creek beds, the soil is starting to dry up pretty quickly. Without rain, do you think any will still come up with these warmer temperatures I won? Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
image.jpg
Nice iwon. It sure got quite in here. Y’all having any luck? Have found 21 so far this morning and found 35 at a brand new spot yesterday that where pretty dry. Hitting a spot later that got some rain yesterday so fingers crossed. I’m eastern Oklahoma county

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
How quick will they come up after a rain, Iwon? Thanks
Depends on the soil temperature history. Early in the season after about ~7-10 days and later in the season as little as 3 days. The hot dry air that followed the dry line on Friday evaporated most of the rainwater that fell in Central OK so I would not count on that meager amount of rainfall. Next Friday looks very promising; hopefully this will trigger red cedar morels that usually come in later in the season.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Depends on the soil temperature history. Early in the season after about ~7-10 days and later in the season as little as 3 days. The hot dry air that followed the dry line on Friday evaporated most of the rainwater that fell in Central OK so I would not count on that meager amount of rainfall. Next Friday looks very promising; hopefully this will trigger red cedar morels that usually come in later in the season.
Agree iwon the woods was a lot dryer today as I walked than I thought they would be. Ended up with 125 today and 35 yesterday.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, I was referring to the rain we had last night in northern Arkansas, we finally got upwards of 2 inches. I don’t think we had had any in over two weeks, so I was hoping they might pop rather quickly at this point in time. Seems like you’re season in Central Oklahoma will be coming to an end pretty quickly, but apparently not. Thanks

561 - 580 of 618 Posts