Oklahoma Message Board 2018

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by iwonagain, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Charles Wood

Charles Wood Young Morel

They like the hot then cold weather like we are getting, in in Creek Co. Oklahoma and theyve been out for close to a month.

2. shroomseeker

shroomseeker Morel Enthusiast

Good job iwon!!! Are you finding those cedar morels yet? Was gonna go check my cedar spot this afternoon but don’t know if it’s been warm enough for cedars yet? What are your thoughts

3. shroomseeker

shroomseeker Morel Enthusiast

Where do you find oysters at? Any certain tree? Do they grow from the ground or on the tree? I Have never looked for them before.

4. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

This young guy, Adam Haritan, presents a lot of information on YouTube. He is extremely knowledgeable and always does a great presentation. I've learned something from him on each video I've viewed and some of these lessons are on shrooms I've been hunting 35+ years. Hope it helps to get you started in your research to learn more.

https://binged.it/2HqgLD3

Also, you MUST be positive about each and every shroom you pick. POSTIVE IDENTITY is a must BEFORE consumption.

Here are some great sites to increase your knowledge:

http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles.htm

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Inthewild likes this.
  5. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

They grow on dead/sickened trees preferably with low density wood such as willows, cottonwoods or elms. I find these accidentally whilst picking morels ! No real cedar morels but mainly elm morels under deep forest cover with cedars/dogwood around.

6. stormy

stormy Morel Connoisseur

Are they edible

7. iwonagain

Hit a patch of large fresh ones today unwillingly - did nor plan on foraging because of the weather. Found about 30 mostly large morels in under 45 min in a thick cedar patch :) IMG_8453.JPG

2 people like this.
  8. flatbottomfrank

flatbottomfrank Morel Enthusiast

When I lived in AR I used to find 100's at a time.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sir kayakalot

Sir kayakalot Morel Enthusiast

Arkansas is a great state for morels and this was a good year to find them. Found good numbers in Crawford and Franklin counties and a wknd trip to Izard Sharp and Baxter counties was successful. Starting to taper off now, for me at least

10. iwonagain

Found a few (20) keepers in Central OK in under 1h. Tomorrow will probably be my last outing in my very late cedar spots. IMG_8458.JPG

3 people like this.
  11. iwonagain

SCORE ! 80-90 keepers found under thick cedar patches under 2h - Central OK. Found about 75-100 past ones that I left behind to spread spores. Total for the season near 2000 morels :) Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 7.34.19 PM.png

2 people like this.
  12. morelsxs

Nice pic, IWON!! You had a great year and I'm sure you're not done yet. ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. iwonagain

Thanks morelsxs !; I think I am done for the year foraging - Now I need to spend more time preparing little packages (dehydrated and fresh samples) to give some away to friends/colleagues (already gave away a bunch). I stopped counting how many past ones I came across in the last week but probably ~400; I occasionally pick a handful of these old ones and hang them on branches to help the spores spread: a morel tree lol - -till next year :) ! IMG_8430.JPG

3 people like this.
  14. stormy

stormy Morel Connoisseur

Really, when and where May that have been?!

1 person likes this.
  15. morelsxs

LOL IWON. Thanks for the laugh on the morel tree. I'd shee my pants if I walked into the woods and saw that! Just sayin'. o_O Maybe that's your secret to some killer finds? ;) 'Til next year!

1 person likes this.
  16. Annie

Annie Morel Enthusiast

I firmly believe that the unicorns have eaten any that were here in Washington County, or the trolls picked them before I got to them. Beginning to think ...maybe next year.

1 person likes this.
  17. Snakespringhunter

Snakespringhunter Young Morel

Hey guys, been following y'all for a couple years now, and I've learned a lot. I have a situation that I need help with. Ive never had a good morel spot, but I'm always able to find a few. We moved to a new house last fall with a couples hundred acres and it seems to be good mushroom habitat. I found 15 big healthy morels at the beginning of April in one little patch. I hadn't found anymore until a week ago and they are all babies. I've found probably forty no more than two inches tall, and that's as big as they get and they dry up. Does anyone know why this is. My guess is water although we haven't been that dry. I'm in northeast Oklahoma, just South of Locust Grove. Thanks for any help and all the info over the last couple years.

18. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

Maybe to much sun and wind. Snakespringhunter.