Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happy New Year everyone! I'm getting spring fever already!! We are just a couple months away from starting the search! Let's wake up the board!
I am in Wichita Kansas and would really like to get into morel hunting this spring. A friend of mine who passed away used to have alot of luck in Kingman Kansas. Any advice on getting started?

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
Howdy Yall... Wade here...
Good Cool Evening here in Monroe county Indiana...
@nate ...bout half my Family are from down in Choctaw County.
We try to plan Visits and Hunt some there..but my Family there Behave as if Morels..don't mean much to them..
and Man I Love that "Trails End" statue.
at the Cowboy Museum.
Where abouts are you from there?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I moved to ark/okla border Nate would they come earlier or later over here from were ur located
Hey Pratherpea, I hunt over in east central Oklahoma some and pretty far into western Oklahoma. I also have some friends from Arkansas. I haven't been able to tell a difference. If you are the same distance north/south wise as we are over here then you should be just about right in sync with us. If you were in far southern Arkansas then maybe a couple of days early at most.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Wade, I know what you mean. Some people just don't understand our little treasure hunt. I'm living in the Shawnee area now. I used to live in Ada. I do some hunting every year though in Choctaw County. They are everywhere and sometimes seemingly nowhere across our state. Cheffpetty I would just suggest looking for forests filled with the right conditions. There are always exceptions to the rules when it comes to Morels, but they tend to like Elm and Ash trees. Even Cottonwood and sometimes Sycamore, Willow, or Cedar. I have the worst luck under Oak although they can even be found under those if the conditions are right. I have better luck in thick low lying forests. If you know of fresh tree damage within the last year from wind, fire, or even clear cutting or dozer work those are usually great places to try.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Pratherpea, I hunt over in east central Oklahoma some and pretty far into western Oklahoma. I also have some friends from Arkansas. I haven't been able to tell a difference. If you are the same distance north/south wise as we are over here then you should be just about right in sync with us. If you were in far southern Arkansas then maybe a couple of days early at most.
Yea bout central I appreciate it an I’ll chime back in when I find my first. Last year found 5 lil dry seem to be way after hunting was Over round there thank again

·
Registered
65 Posts
They never stop fruiting for landscaping setups in California. You could literally find one any time of year that the right temperatures and moisture permit. I just read a paper about a place in Northern Israel that they fruit from June through October. Must be nice. Anyhoo I'll be stomping through Oklahoma hunting grounds soon enough hope you Okies have a good season this year! It never disappoints me when I cross that red river always a good time foraging.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FB_IMG_1550684533736.jpg

Too bad we have had below average temps for much of the winter. Especially the last couple of weeks. I'm guessing our Oklahoma season will be off to a late start. I have found them in recent years around March 4-6th, but I would guess it will be around March 20-25 for my first one this year!! Its hard to believe that we are only a couple of weeks away from some people venturing out into the forest just to check for early ones. Its always fun when you are looking for that very illusive first one of the year!

·
Registered
521 Posts
The climate in the SE US over the last month or so has been wetter and warmer than average. Our neck of the wood, on the other hand, has been notably drier and colder than average (trend to be continued for the next 14 days...). Because of this, I would not be surprised if our season is delayed somewhat [naturally provided we get the critical first >0.5in soaker by the end of March...].

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had a strange story from people magazine pop up in my news feed: stated that a Michelin star rated restaurant in Spain is responsible for the death of a woman and a dozen more people getting sick, that there owing is likely from a serving of morchella fungi, then later in the article post a picture of an aminita. ——-Fake News People!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hello again all!! That time of year is quickly approaching, good to see Alabama finding there first! Thanks for the weather updates iwon I like what there calling for the next 3 months.
Did some walking around today (not for morels ;) ) and the rattlesnakes are already out

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello western neighbors! Wonder if you guys will get some snow this weekend? In my opinion, it would help. Wish I could get some snow in Crawford county, Arkansas, here on the Oklahoma border. When it warms back up after this next cold front, I'm gonna start expecting to see Red Buds. Already have lots of trees budding in the south, Devil's Urn and Gyromitra starting to pop.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hello western neighbors! Wonder if you guys will get some snow this weekend? In my opinion, it would help. Wish I could get some snow in Crawford county, Arkansas, here on the Oklahoma border. When it warms back up after this next cold front, I'm gonna start expecting to see Red Buds. Already have lots of trees budding in the south, Devil's Urn and Gyromitra starting to pop.

Go get em, & good luck. We’ll enjoy seeing your successes.

1 - 20 of 300 Posts