Oklahoma Message Board 2019

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by nate, Jan 1, 2019.

1. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Man, thats a Grey Fatty in there!!! Do I see a Double-Header Yeller in there too? Front row, center. Wait, cant tell might be a Grey..

1 person likes this.
  2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

never get tired of looking at cedar morels. They set the standard in my opinion. Any time left in the Cedar season after the cold rain Iwonagain? I would love to take a 2 day road trip and pick a few if there are enough good ones after that soaker you guys got.

3. HawkeyeMerkels

I agree KB! Those look amazing, let alone the sheer numbers theyre putting up!

4. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

I'd say we've got 5-7 more day of picking under thick cedar groves; especially near and slightly north of OKC.

1 person likes this.
  5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

thanks Iwonagain, believe it or not I drove down to Ok. last sat. but stopped in a bad spot I guess to far north. I looked through cedars for a day and did not find a single one. Got to see a lot of Oklahoma though. Can Anyone beat a 800 mile road trip to get skunked? New record for me, although not one i want. I should have listened to my expert giving me advice and went another 100 miles south. Sooooo, maybe I will try again. Glutton for punishment. I have picked in the cedar before though and know how awesome it is. Keep rocking Oklahomans.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mitch19

Mitch19 Young Morel

I’m convinced my land is void of anything resembling a morel. ‍♂️

7. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

what county did you stop in?

8. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Yocham, I was up by
    stillwater by the 2 lakes up there. No whining here, any day just looking for shrooms beats a day of work.. I just stopped short of where I should of gone, and I know better. So if I can get the mental fortitude up I'll be back. Hate to miss out on a super flush.

9. iwonagain

Did not have time to drive very far from home today; but still managed to still find a few keepers in Cleveland County - IMG_1055.JPG

2 people like this.
  10. iwonagain

Not a bad afternoon. Bounty #13: 700-800 morels; total for the season ~5000 morels !
    IMG_1096.JPG

11. HawkeyeMerkels

Jaw dropped straight to floor!! Another win Champ!

2 people like this.
  12. gbmillerman

gbmillerman Morel Connoisseur

Killing it brother! Way to go!

1 person likes this.
  13. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Wow! Awesome!

1 person likes this.
  14. jslwalls

jslwalls Morel Connoisseur

Alex Fierro? You’ve been everywhere. You live a very interesting life.

1 person likes this.
  15. goshawk75

goshawk75 Morel Connoisseur

Alex Fierro? I remember that dude. Last I knew he was living in the Peruvian embassy.

16. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

youwonagain, iwonagain. Any of you guys willing to give me a couple of counties or 4 to pick from. I am going to try another 800 mile plus road trip and maybe hit a bulls eye this time. My wife will think I am twice as crazy if I come back without morels for her to eat again. Funny seeing those small greys mixed in with those christmas tree ones.

2 people like this.
  17. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

Now you’re just tryin to make me feel bad, you won again, I just wanna win one time.:(

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Okie21

Okie21 Morel Enthusiast

KB, you must be a real dedicated morel addict! Being my first season I am just a novice, but I have been monitoring this board and two Oklahoma Morel pages on Facebook, and it appears that Oklahoma Co, Lincoln Co, and Logan Co are still producing very well. Also a fair amount of fresh ones being found in Potawatomie aka Pot Co and Cleveland Co. Looking at the rain totals, I wouldn't think anything north of Logan Co and west of I-35 would be as good as east of I-35, especially the further north you go. I would think that southern Payne County would be good as well, but I have no leads on public lands there aside from the lakes you already went to.

I have done some short hunts on very public areas in OK, Logan, and Cleveland Counties and found a few each time. However, 27 of the 30 pounds I've gotten so far was on the same patch of private ground in Lincoln County over 4 hunts in the last 9 days. I will say that Oklahoma and Lincoln Counties may have more publicly accessible land than Logan County, as far as what I'm familiar with anyway. If you're not worried about chemicals and such, I would think walking the railroad easements in OK, Logan, and Lincoln Counties would produce some mushrooms.

I am by no means a mushroom guide, but I'd be happy to point you towards some large tracts of accessible, non-park land owned by municipalities and such in OK County that I had planned to hunt before I found out that my private ground was so productive. When are you making your trip down here?

19. Okie21

Okie21 Morel Enthusiast

I think the season on my piece of private ground is coming to an end. I picked 8 pounds of new morels yesterday afternoon while mostly walking in my footsteps from the 5 pounds I picked Sunday, yet the quality/integrity of the morels I picked yesterday were much worse. Many had small spots of white mold and many had snail trails on them. I left a couple hundred those and others that were way too far gone.

Many that looked really good when I picked them were near garbage today. I noticed that the ones that rapidly deteriorated overnight (in brown paper sacks in fridge, no washing or soaking) were the ones with a rusty streak on the base of the stem up to the cap. What was left of my first haul from 10 days ago were still in perfect condition this morning when I put them in dehydrator, yet the "fresh" picks from yesterday turned terrible overnight. Anyone else have issues with the otherwise prime looking morels that have that rusty streak on the stem? If so, do you know what it is?

20. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I have had a lot of luck under Ash/Eastern Hemlock but have never hunted under Cedar. I would appreciate any Info. you could provide about hunting under Cedar. A specific species of the tree or just any Cedar? Thank you