Oklahoma Message Board 2019

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by nate, Jan 1, 2019.

1. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Eastern red cedars. But these only produce in wet years and late in the season.

2. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I live in Indiana and spend most of my time in Northern MI. There are many Cedars up there but are mostly inaccessible due to the wet ground/swamp. I will search on line so I can identify Reds from other Cedars. Thank You for your input My Good Man

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    1 person likes this.

3. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

thanks Okie. Yes I am addicted and I usually do much better on my road trips, I actually had pretty good info. I missed the rain part though, and needed to drive another county or so south. My own fault. To be honest I just got back from another 400 plus mile long one down into S. Kansas and ended up with close to 3#. I may turn around and come back and see you guys tomorrow. Thanks for the information. That brown streak just means they have been up to long and are degrading. Probably to much rain, believe it or not. Sounds like you have had some fun in the cedar. Outside of mountain burns and cut cottonwood timbers nothing compares to what those babies kick out. Yeah any suggestions would be great. Just don't get your fellow Oklahomans to mad at you for putting names on the this board. Eyes are watching.

4. iwonagain

Last hurrah with ~ 150 keepers. Lost count of how many past ones I ran across this evening. The season is officially over in my neck of the woods (south OKC). Total bounty of ~ 5200 morels - Till next year ! IMG_1106.JPG

5. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Thanks for the reports. It’s been fun following along!

6. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

What a year Iwonagain, if you ever come up north give me a hollar .A question, did the cedars at OKC flush in 2013? Most of the S. Kansas ones did that year. I wondered how widespread it was.

1 person likes this.
  7. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

Iwonagain you had a great season congratulations. How many acres did you hunt to find what you did?

8. iwonagain

Sure thing; If I recall well, 2013 was a relatively good (wet) year and cedars produced decently. I think this year was over similar to 2012 and 2015 for cedars (above average).

1 person likes this.
  9. iwonagain

Honestly, no idea - but I walked a total of 75-100 miles over the last 15 days ;)

2 people like this.
  10. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

I figured you did a fair amount of walking but was talking to some others about your finds this year and I know we don't have that much public ground here in oklahoma to have finds like that. So the topic came up on how many acres it would take to get them kind of numbers. I am very certain it would take multiple place with at least 2500 or more acres to hunt. Guess there is just to much driving here around me from one place to the next.

1 person likes this.
  11. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

yocham, I never got to your cedars this year, don't think I didn't want to. As to how many acres does it take to get a haul. In a spot in S. Kansas in 2013, in a cedar area no larger than 300 acres at most, me and 6 other people picked somewhere north of 300# over a week period, not counting the rotten ones and the ones we missed. who knows how many morels grew there. That is what gets me in these cedar flushes, just think of all the spores released from all the giant rotting ones out there that no one will ever see. Now that is a sad thought.

12. iwonagain

I indeed find most on private land I have access to (or permission to access). Zero trespassing. Still, one of these spots was pillaged pretty badly by trespassers despite the signs that is govt-owned land (one of our 700-800 morels hunt); so without it, we could have had another 1000+ morel haul easily. I told some folks to install cameras and a fence for next year - (to hopefully deter or identify these thieves). lol. External appearances (car, clothing, language etc) do matter to gain access as well. A few years back, I remember arriving to one of my spots (semi private area) to find in dismay a rusty old truck parked there and a guy dressed in very rustic clothing foraging there. A few minutes later, cops arrived and questioned/cited the person but left me alone [I knew/already spoken to the owners of the nearby houses who most likely called 911 when they saw that rusty Chevy truck). Needless to say that this person never returned to my spot ! hehe; thank you property owners ;)

13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

yep, always helps to look halfway presentable when you ask to look.. Keep a variety of tractor equip. caps in your car to, depending on what the land owner drives.

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  14. Van86

Van86 Young Morel

Are you selling? I’m from Bartlesville and looking to buy. 918-766-1770.

15. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Dude! You make me think I need to move to Oklahoma! My BIL lived there for a time, and even though he didn't hunt shrooms, he said the fishing and hunting in that state is just unreal! He loves the place!

3 people like this.
  16. Okie21

Okie21 Morel Enthusiast

Congrats on another great year iwonagain, and to everyone else who had such great seasons! My season is winding down as well, but I believe I'll make one more push on some public land today and perhaps another on hunt on my private land Thursday after these rains.

I picked 10 pounds on Friday evening on public land in OK county and then another 4 pounds Saturday afternoon a few miles away. All in thick cedar or mixed cedar/cottonwood lowlands. I have no idea how many wilting/rotting and/or drying morels I left behind, but nearly as many as I picked. Also walked by hundreds of cut stems from another hunter about a week before.

I am very pleased with my first season ever, with over 43 pounds (800-900 morels), and am certain I will now be spoiled, haha. I'm happy I got to share so many of these tasty finds with a lot of friends and family! I've dehydrated a LOT to use as seasoning/crusting powder, especially the ones that were a little past prime. I've also dehydrated a lot of the prime small greys whole and have already tried some after reconstituting and was surprised how good they still tasted.

I'm going to try a few methods of freezing some fresh ones as well (blanched, steamed, or sauteed for 5 min then vac sealed), and see what I like better. I will post my results on that later. If anyone here has a preferred freezing method that does not involve breading them, please share!

I appreciate this forum and the information shared, and I hope that I can pass on the things I've gleaned this season to anyone who is curious. Here are a few more picture highlights from my stomping around in the woods. (P.S.A. - Yes ........... I joined the club of people who found lost/discarded sex toys while looking for mushrooms this season, haha.) 1755.JPG 1758.JPG 1760.JPG 1721.JPG 1730.JPG IMG_3402.JPG IMG_3408.JPG IMG_3406.JPG IMG_3414.JPG IMG_3419.jpg

17. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Hey Okie21, Well Done! A Very Great start to Morel Hunting! Thats a kool green moth(I think). Even better, that solitary yellow popping thru the reddish brown leaf litter, that pic is calender worthy! Awesome your trying & discovering many different preservation methods, having Fun & Eating Well! Best Wishes in your further hunts, though the stories you will tell from this memorable & groundbreaking year!:D

1 person likes this.
  18. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Wow, wow, wow! It's been fun watching you morel nuts while anxiously waiting for our turn.
    It's obvious: Morels are the reason God made Oklahoma. Thanks for posting.

19. Mitch19

Mitch19 Young Morel

I picked 0# for a total of 0 morels on my land in southern Oklahoma.

Nothing. Notta. Zippo.

20. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

Is Stillwater still going?