Oklahoma Message Board 2019

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by nate, Jan 1, 2019.

1. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Wow, I can't believe it's March! This year has flown by. They found the first Texas Morels of 2019 in Tyler. They are getting closer!! I would usually have been trying my first hunt of the year around this time, but I'm going to push that back about 1-2 weeks because of our freezing cold weather we have had lately. Cross your fingers for warm rainy days!!

2 people like this.
  2. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Yep - CAN'T WAIT !! I had an organic morel-asparagus-kale cream-butter risotto last night to celebrate the official arrival of shroom-month in Okie land. Most longer range operational/experimental models appear to suggest a wetter pattern in the coming 15 days but still a tad bit colder than average. If this holds --> longer season ! [The absolute worst being a bone dry trend embedded with a couple of 3-4 day streaks of 75F+ temps]:
    https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/index.php
    Time to dust off the woods' gear and cans of permethrin !

2 people like this.

3. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

And I also saw today they have been found in Georgia and Mississippi. Now all of the states that typically precede us are basically on the board. Except maybe Washington and Oregon, which they may have found some already and just not posted.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  4. iwonagain

Looks like the skies are *finally* going to release the first, well needed convective Spring rains over OK ! ALL model guidance thus far are in agreement for a major rain event next Tue with some potentially severe storms on Saturday. Expect higher local totals than shown on this map (valid next Wed 06UTC), as these are derived from a coarser scale, spectral model. Bring the rain ! Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 5.03.42 PM.png

5. flatbottomfrank

flatbottomfrank Morel Enthusiast

Bring that rain. Guess I'll be headed out for my first look see, in a couple weeks.

6. ilmorelgirlintx

ilmorelgirlintx Morel Enthusiast

Getting excited for the season. This will be my 12th year of mushroom hunting in OK.

1 person likes this.
  7. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Good Luck, enjoy your season.
    Post some if your success’s please.

1 person likes this.
  8. djkernelpanic

djkernelpanic Morel Enthusiast

I'm betting first find next weekend. Can't believe it's happening so late.

9. pacertom

pacertom Morel Enthusiast

i went to my early spot yesterday and nada. we are 2 weeks away and this spot has produced March 5th on year. Not even a sign of may apple sprouts. this weeks weather should help.

10. iwonagain

The first 2 weeks of March last year had 4-inch soil temps hovering consistently between 45 and 55F, which contrasts quite drastically with this March with 4-inch temps ranging between only 35F and 47F - aka ~ 10F colder [Norman-OKC station]. The next two-week outlook - which hints at below-average temps - certainly points toward a later-than-average season [i.e., start picking no earlier than the first week of April in Central OK].

11. Commander concrete

Commander concrete Morel Enthusiast

Slowly picking up some new spots can’t wait to hit em

12. iwonagain

Last night, I have been analyzing in some detail retrospective/archived surface obs datasets together with my morel finds log sheets since about 2012 in Central OK. Thus far, 2019 is somewhat similar to 2015 with notable colder than average soil temps and overall wetter-than average trend [for March]. That year, decent picking started around April 1st. Current long range (> 10 days) deterministic single and ensemble models all seem to hint at a wetter than average end of March with back to back Spring-like storm systems around the 23-24th, 27, and 30 March -1st April. If this verifies, the rain will come right on time in terms of 4-in soil temps and 32F degree days threshold (~ 1000-1200) - all that is needed is ~ 0.5 inch. In summary, 2019 appears thus far to be on the right track to be an equally good season as 2015 :) - if the (heavy) rains don't let down in early April, the red cedars will likely be producing as well later on (in contrast to the last few years) - Can't wait !

4 people like this.
  13. Commander concrete

The mayflowers/mayapples are popping up in Pittsburgh county

14. iwonagain

:D:) Right on the money !
    814prcp.new.gif

1 person likes this.
  15. santa shroom

santa shroom Morel Enthusiast

It is gonna be a banner year, I went out looking around today and found "NOTHING" but the woods smelled good and the critters all ran from me so I know it is gonna be good.

16. goshawk75

goshawk75 Morel Enthusiast

The ways I sees it is, I'll git me my first mes of dem shrooms when they starts to poppin'.

2 people like this.
  17. Commander concrete

Been watching my honey hole closely like I do every year and it’s been April 1sts so far every year

18. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

There was a find in muskogee county.

Tekquera01 and Brian Beasley like this.
  19. ilmorelgirlintx

ilmorelgirlintx Morel Enthusiast

I went out Sat. 3-16-19 and yes, the Mayapples were just popping up. The Dogwood trees were just budding. So I believe there could be a few late March, but I think it will be the first week in April.

20. goshawk75

goshawk75 Morel Enthusiast

Hey yocham, Did you train that bobcat in your profile pic to stand up and wave like that or was he just an overly friendly chap?