Oklahoma Message Board 2020

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by iwonagain, Jan 13, 2020.

1. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Happy new year everyone and let the 2020 Season be as bountiful as 2019 ! :cool:

2 people like this.
  2. theknowlesy

theknowlesy Young Morel

Happy new year!

1 person likes this.

3. pratherpea52

pratherpea52 Morel Enthusiast

Wow not like Nate not having first thread something’s not rite hi all

1 person likes this.
  4. pratherpea52

How’s it going I won again

5. iwonagain

Good and antsy to hit the woods in 2.5 months - Current NOAA seasonal outlook for March-April-May over OK calls for slightly warmer than average temps and near average rainfall. Hope that the trend will progressively shift toward a cooler and wetter than average scenario, as was the case for 2019.

1 person likes this.
  6. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I'm from Ohio, but I have to say that I really enjoyed reading the OK page last year! Just phenomenal! My BIL lived in OK years ago, and raves about the fishing and hunting there to this day! Good luck this year.

3 people like this.
  7. pratherpea52

Yes I’m ready myself I hunt the okla Arkansas border and it seems like it’s been a year well I guess it has way this winter has been likely to start finding them the next sunny day we have. Haha

2 people like this.
  8. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

Do the cedars go as hard as they did last year or do they always go that hard every year.

1 person likes this.
  9. pratherpea52

A lot of it in cedars I’ve hunted is it takes a lot of precipitation to get a lot of return but like I say never hunter to far out of Oklahoma so that’s just my experience in the past but I won could most likely fill that question for ya with a lot more knowledgeable answer

10. iwonagain

Hey there Tommy: Red Cedars (which are actually Junipers), are reliable producers as long as it is a wetter than average year [assuming near normal temps]. Of course, colder than average temps in early-mid April will extend the season [larger flush per mycelium and slower growth of morels] and warmer temps will shorten it drastically [75-80+F temps for 3 straight days]. From my experience one needs a minimum of ~0.75 inch of rain to soak the top soil underneath a cedar grove. To maintain this moisture under normal temps in late March-early April, one would need such an event at least once every 7-10 days. Hope this helps

1 person likes this.
  11. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Interesting observation about the temps. Some years ago we had a stretch of days in the mid 80's in the first week of March, which is far from normal for NE Ohio. Two weeks later we had a frost. Worst year for morels I've ever seen, except for my first when I had no idea where to look for them!

12. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

well that explains why last year was so good. So much rain last year...

13. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

You had quite a 2019!! :D I would LOVE to have a season like that. Yes, may it be just as bountiful.

2 people like this.
  14. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i went to School in the 7th grade down in Antlers Oklahoma.. far southeast part of the state..half of my Family is from down there..but Not a One of them Morel hunt.
    they seem like they've never heard of um
    i would Love to Visit Family and Hunt while there..can anyone tell Me if Morels are found in or near, Pushmataha county or Along the way near by

15. iwonagain

Howdy, Wade:
    From my experience looking at yearly reports, it appears that SE OK counties do not produce as many morels as elsewhere in the state - likely because of a different mix of host trees [pines] and soil composition [less clay]. SE OK is, however, a reliable spot for chanties and other prized edibles such as chickens/hens [more oaks]. The hot spots for morels in OK seems to be near and around OKC- Pott county. On any given wetter-than average (and esp. cooler) year, one is almost certain to stumble across patches of esculentas [smaller grey species] near cedar groves in these areas. Cotton wood groves hit by severe weather (esp tornadoes/downbursts) in that area are notorious for producing bucketloads of a larger type of esculenta [bright yellow]. Lets keep our fingers crossed for some rain throughout March and early April especially knowing that the soil has been rather well conditioned by abundant (non flooding) moisture this last few weeks ! :)

4 people like this.
  16. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

17. seagle63

seagle63 Morel Enthusiast

Does anyone have luck hunting around the southern end of I35?

1 person likes this.
  18. santa shroom

santa shroom Morel Connoisseur

Well it's almost that time of year again, I Won good to see you, hope we have another GREAT year.

2 people like this.
  19. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Hello everyone! I'm ready!

4 people like this.
  20. iwonagain

Thanks Santa Shroom; Likewise; wishing you a sled full of shrooms ! ;)

1 person likes this.