Oklahoma Message Board 2020

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by iwonagain, Jan 13, 2020.

1. goshawk75

goshawk75 Morel Connoisseur

I agree, tick bites are avoidable if permethrin is used right. I have been using it for atleast 12 years in some of the most tick infested thickets one could find and have not had one bite. I have found them dead stuck to my clothes. The key is to use plenty and never wash treated clothes 'till after the season.

2. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

I did this last year on a daily basis on my jeans, socks, long sleeve t-shirt and hiking shoes [my attire is quite simple; no fancy camo hunting gear lol]...but a few of these suckers still managed to make it through. I may have to combine permethrin and Rynoskin next year.

4 people like this.

3. goshawk75

goshawk75 Morel Connoisseur

No more of an evil foe exists. You mention an important point, treat the shoes.

3 people like this.
  4. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

I too treat my clothing with permethrin. I use Picaridin lotion and/or spray on my legs, waistline, neckline, face and head for those that manage to make it to my skin. It is more effective and more comfortable than deet, smells better too. I also wear briar proof upland game hunting pants, knee high compression socks under my knee high rubber boots, long sleeved shirt, and a bucket hat. I try to minimize my risk and take tick defense seriously. This is the best system I have found. All the blood sucking bugs love my blood, lol.

3 people like this.
  5. OsageFD

OsageFD Young Morel

I spent the afternoon looking about 40 miles north of Tulsa today, no luck. Planning to try again for the next few days.

6. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Hazmat gear with a take along air conditioner would be the ultimate tick proof shroomin gear I guess. All seams taped of course.

1 person likes this.
  7. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Yeah, they get a little stinky after a week or so without washing. Another reason I take stuff off and leave it in the garage. After a while I am not sure if it is the chemical or the stink that repels the ticks.

8. pratherpea52

pratherpea52 Morel Enthusiast

Now I’m game with the a/c slinder space suit need a prototype go fund me awaiting for a cash in on A great idea or has someone already done it

9. jomareco

jomareco Young Morel

Happy Easter! New to morel hunting - stumbled on a few during a walk on our land, and now we are hooked!
    Can someone tell me, is it past time to look for them? Since the temps reached the 90s the other day, I wondered if the season is over. Our beginners luck seems to have disappeared completely!
    We live in central OK - Pottowatomie Co.

10. shroomseeker

shroomseeker Morel Enthusiast

I would say it’s on the tail end for them this year. But if you still look under thick cedar groves you might find some fresh ones. I’m in eastern Oklahoma county and found a couple dozen today all under cedars and a few where past there prime. Happy Easter all!!!!

11. iwonagain

Cold weather -> no ticks; so I decided to take a stroll back to some of my very late cedar spots not expecting much...Found myself a nice little mess of 70 keepers and stopped counting how many (rather large) past specimens I left behind to spread more spores (probably near 75-100). Total for the season 2000+ morels :) IMG-6090.JPG

12. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

AMAZING you are still finding @iwonagain
    Thank You for such Excellent efforts and Reporting these to us

13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Hard to stop Iwon. I have withdrawals for a while after I run out of season. The more I pick the harder it is to stop.

1 person likes this.
  14. iwonagain

I fully sympathize with you there ! My only main 'consolation' for stopping is that end of morel season usually coincides with mass emergence of ticks - a good excuse to avoid the woods altogether [I am thankfully not allergic to poison ivy]. This is why I don't forage other edibles. Back home in Switzerland we used to harvest boletes/chanties up in the evergreen forests in the Alps. No briars, no ticks and no fences; the woods are for everyone to enjoy and respect just like Mother Nature intended :)

15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Sounds like Oregon is the place for you then, morels and all the other stuff. Huge national forests with a much milder climate plus the mountains. Be we have to make do with what we have. Oklahoma has to be one of the toughest places to hunt morels of all the states I have been in. On the other hand when the cedars are flushing there is nothing better either.

16. Kbart

Kbart Morel Connoisseur

Maybe the 2 other hunters found you in THEIR spot. Hmmm....

17. Kbart

Kbart Morel Connoisseur

We enjoy those freedoms in the U.S. as well. You may be surprised to find out that this country has more land set aside for public use than any other country in the world. By far...

2 people like this.