Oklahoma Message Board 2020

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by iwonagain, Jan 13, 2020.

1. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Found a nice little mess of ~60 morels this afternoon ! There getting there ... IMG-5582.JPG

2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Don't ask just pick is my motto, unless it is a Nat. Wildlife area. I know Thunderbird had people picking everywhere on it last year. I know people from Mo. and Minn. that went down and hunted the Lakes cedars and had no problem. Is it posted on signs? Iwonagain you hunt all around there, what say you? And Bryce buddy welcome to the club. We are not greedy just hungry. Guys like Iwon gives most of theirs away, me and the hunters I know will say its good karma to help the needy newbies and feed the ones that got skunked. I met the saddest guy sitting on his truck gate when I came out of a Iowa timber last year, he had two and it was for his dad's birthday meal, his usual spots had not provided. I had had a good morning, so when I popped my trunk and he saw my box full he wanted to buy some, I just gave him a big mess for dad, he gave me a beer. We sat and talked for a bit, turned out his dad was the same age as mine, had been stationed in France like mine after the war also. We both went home feeling better. Karma. I hope you get hooked for life like I got when I was about 8, best addiction you could ever have.

3. iwonagain

Not only T-bird is *full* of ticks but rangers can be aggressive patrolling during this time of year because of illegal turkey hunting around the lake. Collecting anything is strictly prohibited indeed; despite that, I know many who go there every year and take the risk. I mainly hunt in small patches of woods on private, state and federal land I have access to. Side-of-the country road [very low traffic] areas near fences/ditches also work on good years [spotting the Ray Charles from the window driving at 5 miles per hour lol]. If I find a jackpot out of reach behind a fence in the middle of nowhere I don't hesitate to grab them remotely with a long stick lol. Creativity always pays off :). Kb: the story you just told happened to me last year with a mom and her granny: they were first scared when they saw me emerging from the woods and backed off. After chatting to them for a bit, I gave them my whole bounty for that morning and they were very happy indeed :)

4. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wow Beautiful find
    Thank You for Reporting in to Us
    @iwonagain

2 people like this.
  5. goshawk75

goshawk75 Morel Connoisseur

Not to mention they kept the polling places open Tue. for the primary. The polling places are manned 90% by seniors. Where is the bigger risk? In a little church or school reception room or 2 thousand acres of timber?

2 people like this.
  6. BANKGIRLAMY

BANKGIRLAMY Young Morel

7D68AB89-589D-4FAD-A3B6-CF612A6A3DCE.jpeg Trekked several hours last week and especially Thursday afternoon, but nothing. I may be too late again this year. It was drizzling for most of my annual week off/shroom hunt which is always o’ so fun.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if there aren’t just a couple more days of shrooms if we got some solid sun this weekend, but sighs, I must return to work Monday so goodbye 2020 season. It’s been 12 yrs here in Oklahoma and still no spots for this gal to call her own.
    Kansas may just be calling me home! 26BFACFA-7F69-4B4A-BBA4-443DD89FE483.jpeg 97F5AB72-5230-4FD8-B335-9E9683E90EF2.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  7. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

you never said what county you are hunting in? There is still alot more time then a few more days left in the season dont give up and stay at it. There is still plenty of morels to find out there.

8. rodneyp64

rodneyp64 Morel Enthusiast

Just south of OKC again. The rain needs to stop now

1 person likes this.
  9. rodneyp64

467E9EE0-D7A2-4CDB-B9FC-8BCFD8E28F75.jpeg 467E9EE0-D7A2-4CDB-B9FC-8BCFD8E28F75.jpeg

6 people like this.
  10. iwonagain

and just like that, found ~ 60 more today; OKC area. IMG-5596.JPG

4 people like this.
  11. Bryce

Bryce Young Morel

Wow! I went to Lexington WMA and didnt see anything. Still trying to figure out what to look for lol

1 person likes this.
  12. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Seems like with all the rain they would be thick as ticks RP. Still a little early you think. I sure would like to think that all that rain is going to get a bunch up. I have all next week to maybe take a trip. You spend the night down there?

13. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

My oldest son came down to do some fishing today. Fish were not biting. So, we picked these 30 in Oklahoma county for him to take back home.

upload_2020-3-21_20-57-13.jpeg

14. rodneyp64

15. rodneyp64

Rain is blowing them up really fast. Picked Fridayin Ok then worked yesterday and back in Ok this morning

4 people like this.
  16. rodneyp64

Getting big quick kb

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  17. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

So I see. You still south of OKC?

18. rodneyp64

Biggest finds still OKC and south. But decent sized finds 40 miles south of Ks border

1 person likes this.
  19. ndwoods

ndwoods Morel Enthusiast

20. ndwoods

ndwoods Morel Enthusiast

Amy, it hasn’t even started yet!! Keep looking!!

1 person likes this.