Oklahoma Message Board 2020

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by iwonagain, Jan 13, 2020.

1. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

67 today in Oklahoma County with my brother Terry. Starting to find a few here and there in spots other that my very early spots. A few with good size. Too much standing water that will have a negative effect I’m afraid. Morels like soil moisture, not prolonged standing water.

upload_2020-3-22_23-53-33.jpeg upload_2020-3-22_23-54-10.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  2. pratherpea52

pratherpea52 Morel Enthusiast

Nice find Rango

1 person likes this.

3. rodneyp64

rodneyp64 Morel Enthusiast

792C3E0C-8334-4AE7-A3AF-99C1CA88962D.jpeg Picked these yesterday in central Oklahoma

4. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Found a few more today. Most of my regular spots are still not ready. Hopefully this warm up will get them going. These 3-day stretch of 80+F weather is not a good omen for the reminder of the season-especially given that I don't see any decent rainfall in Central OK for the next 14 days. Thou shall see ! IMG-5610.JPG

5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Nice variety there RP. You are killing me. I had a dream last night I had walked into a forest full of stumps. Everywhere I looked nothing but stumps. Jeez what a nightmare. Had many dreams of woods full of shrooms, first time ever someone had already got them before me.

3 people like this.
  6. shroomseeker

shroomseeker Morel Enthusiast

4D8D9917-FFA6-41CA-B95E-1B9E60D6CE5A.jpeg Found my first under cedars today. All on west side clearing. So getting a lot of afternoon direct sun light

7. jashroomer

jashroomer Morel Connoisseur

You will need to check with your state's DNR, in Indiana, places designated a Nature Preserve are off limits, as well as some other properties they designate "no collecting".

1 person likes this.
  8. iwonagain

Found, yet again, another 50+morel batch :) - total for the season nearing 400 morels (and hopefully many more to come!).
    IMG-5630.JPG

9. Okie21

Okie21 Morel Enthusiast

Nice Job iwon! You're clipping right along per usual. I'm going to check my private land in Lincoln County this afternoon and will report back. I'm afraid tomorrow's weather will be a doozy for anything that's up out of the litter already.

Rango, nice job on your OKC finds! I've only found some very small ones so far. You and your brother didn't happen to run into a tall guy doing some shed hunting yesterday did you?

10. iwonagain

Went this morning to one of my faithful spots and, sure enough, hit the mother lode; 130+ morels; some quite large. Total for the season ~ 500 morels :) IMG-5669.JPG

11. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the Best we seen so Far for;
    *picture
    *Quality
    *Colors
    *Number found
    *Helpful Reporting
    *Loving the Hunt
    Awesome and Beautiful
    *You should put this picture on a T-shirt*
    @iwonagain
    Thank You

3 people like this.
  12. KProud

KProud Young Morel

Wow nice haul! I need some pro tips I’m not having much luck! Did find a tick though lol

3 people like this.
  13. KProud

KProud Young Morel

So great!!

1 person likes this.
  14. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

some of th
    Wow nice tight gills on a lot of them Iwon. Any of those on cedar yet? That one near the back right looks like a 2 headed one. Was he under a stick?

2 people like this.
  15. iwonagain

Almost double headed; something was hindering its growth; probably a stick - Got a good few under cedars yes ! Will try to head back tomorrow to another spot in the morning to beat the heat - lots of ticks out there so be careful !

dean martin and (deleted member) like this.
  16. iwonagain

I found about 5 dozen ticks - but am using Rynoskin-type spandex undergarment, which works great against those little (blood) suckers ! Look under American elms [especially deceasing ones], red cedars and cottonwoods [dying cottonwoods are notorious for producing large yellows]; preferably in washes where rainwater runs but does not stagnate. Happy foraging !

17. dean martin

dean martin Young Morel

Season’s just getting started unless maybe you’re far South Oklahoma.

1 person likes this.
  18. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

Yes seen you on fb iwon helping folks there as well or someone is stealing your picks GREAT JOB!!!

2 people like this.
  19. Okie21

Okie21 Morel Enthusiast

I went out to my private spot in Lincoln County where I had such success last year, but only found about 20 morels. It is still way early on that property. Not even a single baby sprouted in the two main patches I picked about 400 in last season.

The only ones I found were on a south facing slope that receives all of the midday sun. Only a few were even out of the litter, most of the ones found were in nearly bare dirt or cedar litter, so I'm hoping there are a bunch under the leaves that will be sheltered from this awful heat today. Good luck everyone!

3 people like this.
  20. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Iwon,
    Those look very fresh. Great size too. Looks like you may be up for a repeat of last year.
    I hope what you're seeing comes our way again.