Oklahoma Message Board 2020

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by iwonagain, Jan 13, 2020.

1. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Bar is being set pretty high again by you guys

3 people like this.
  2. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Found 100 morels today ! - most fresh with some occasional monsters. Found 2 other hunters in one of my spots - which explained the stumps ;) IMG-5694.JPG

3. BANKGIRLAMY

BANKGIRLAMY Young Morel

Eastern OK. I’m back to my essential job function this week however so my shrooming is going to be seriously shortened.

4. BANKGIRLAMY

BANKGIRLAMY Young Morel

Muskogee County. I was in Ft Gibson most of last week. I know I need to move farther East, but I can’t just go walking out on privately owned land. That has ended badly in the past lol

1 person likes this.
  5. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

Yes. Are you that shed hunter?

1 person likes this.
  6. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

72 more in Oklahoma County today with my brother. Along with over a pound and a half of fresh spring oysters.

upload_2020-3-26_21-49-30.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good Times

2 people like this.
  8. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hello rango..ooooh Has some spots

1 person likes this.
  9. Okie21

Okie21 Morel Enthusiast

Yessir! We must think alike, cause I saw y’alls vehicles again today at a different spot, haha. I’m glad you and your brother did well today too!

I had to do a lot of walking/plowing but I ended up 4.2 lbs this afternoon. Man was it hot outside!!! I hope we get more rain to trigger some new flushes cause half of what I picked today was starting to rust/streak, and I’m afraid that most of what’s up right now will go bad by the end of the day tomorrow.

2 people like this.
  10. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

Congratulations! Did you find any more sheds? 1 small fresh one and 1 from the previous season today. I typically do not go shed hunting except on my hunting lease. But I usually find a few while morel hunting. I have found a few nice deadheads too.
    I agree we need rain, and it looks like we will get some tomorrow. We also need cooler weather quick or this morel season will be done I fear. Soil temps over 65 degrees, not good.
    I’m curious how you recognized my post? Tailgate color in my pics give me away, lol?

1 person likes this.
  11. iwonagain

Nice job Randy G! ;)

3 people like this.
  12. Okie21

Okie21 Morel Enthusiast

Haha, no it wasn't the tailgate. You've mentioned hunting with your brother in several of your posts, and yall were always in the greater OKC area. So when I ran into two guys that looked like they might be related and seemed like they knew what they were doing, I just had a feeling that might have been you two. Even a broken clock is right twice a day I guess! When I noticed the little white mesh bag from some of yall's pictures was the same kind one of yall was holding, I figured I'd ask.

I didn't find any more sheds that day, but I found a couple of last year's drops yesterday, including this pretty cool one with a split g2 and some kickers. Here's a few of the only morels that were big enough to pick in my mixed cedar spot, likely on account of the midday sun. I'm crossing my fingers that these soil temps don't kill everything, and that there will be more rain and morels to come! At this rate, we may run into each other somewhere else soon, haha. Take care and good luck sir!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    9 people like this.
  13. david oakes

david oakes Morel Enthusiast

NICE HAUL. Cant wait to see NATE'S. Love watching you guys tear it up before Ohio season.

2 people like this.
  14. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Epic pictures, I'm so envious of the terrain you hunt in, no under story of hawthorns or anything. Keep it coming.

3 people like this.
  15. Okie21

Okie21 Morel Enthusiast

Thanks sir! If you followed me through the crap I went through yesterday you might be wishing for some hawthorns, JK. There's plenty of huge tangles of greenbriar and dewberry brambles to rip you up, virginia creeper vines to trip on, sumac trees to slap you in the face, and tons of low lying dead cedar branches to go headfirst through, while getting litter down your shirt and in your butt crack. It ain't all elms and soft grass, haha. But I did find some yesterday in a beautiful sloping meadow full of elms and soft grass yesterday. For the first time ever, haha.

16. jslwalls

jslwalls Morel Connoisseur

That 1st picture is amazing.

17. iwonagain

Went to a faithful spot and hauled ~150 morels, several quite large + another 60-65 not shown here.
    IMG-5737.JPG

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  18. iwonagain

and here are the remaining ~60 that my buddy took home. 60704829663--4337BE44-E948-4872-BB1A-B3058B1F3C05.jpeg

19. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Dude! You got it wired pretty tight! Those all look so prime!

6 people like this.
  20. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

I think we followed you yesterday though some of natures obstacle course and spent the afternoon looking at your stumps, lol. I left a bunch of small ones to grow on a sloping meadow full of elms and soft grass on Tuesday and they were stumps yesterday too. It happens, lol. Even Iwonagain is finding stumps this year! Seems to be plenty for all of us that are willing to do the work. If it was easy, the reward would not be as great.
    Come on rainfall! Strange year, standing water where I’ve not seen it before, while a few yards away needs the rain. I’m of the opinion that 1/4 to 1/2 inches every three days is perfect.

5 people like this.