Oklahoma Message Board 2020

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by iwonagain, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Okie21

Okie21 Morel Enthusiast

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised if we covered some of the same ground, but I wound up a long way from where I started.I didn't get started til about 2:30-3:00 in that spot. I'm thinking someone else may be to blame on your sloping elm meadow, cause the one I picked on was right at dusk.

When I found a particular 2-3 acre patch in that area last year and picked about 250, there were every bit that many grown up stumps from a week or more before, right amongst the fresh ones. In any event, that's definitely a great area and I'm hoping we will have fresh new ones to pick next weekend!

3 people like this.

2. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

We found 12 lbs yesterday. That makes us to around 1000 shrooms on the season.

6 people like this.
  3. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

1 person likes this.
  4. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Big ones there. But seeing that giant cat it makes sense. My grandpa used to noodle, but I don't recall him getting anything that size. Was that from a river?

5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Iwon, you ever do much good on cottonwood? I never recall you mentioning them much. Those are nice ones. even the large ones have pretty tight gills yet it seems.

6. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Cedar magic struck again ! Found 180 morels today; most very fresh. (+ another 2 dozens not shown here that were past and quite large) :) - total for the season between 950-1000 morels !!
    IMG-5788.JPG

7. iwonagain

I am not a big fan of them; except when a whole grove has been damaged by weather; in 2013-4, I went by an area like that which was decimated by a F2 tornado and there were large yellows everywhere. My favorite to pick and eat are cedar morels - they grow in mini clusters; are easy to see and there are no ticks nor briars under thick cedar groves. These were mostly found on private land I have access to - and I am sure there are more!

8. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

I would agree on the rain Rango. To much at once can be bad but none at all is worse. Once they are up, just a little once a week is plenty. They last longer as long as the temps stay mild. I really like the cloudy days of 60's once the season gets going. How are the ticks this year. Hungry as normal?

2 people like this.
  9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Cedars just getting going? A few of those were small.

2 people like this.
  10. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

I would agree with the cedar morels being the best. Even my wife noted the lack of bugs in them and she said they even smell better. I wish I knew the secret to why they grow so well on cedar in some places and not others. Must have to do with the soil in some way. There are cedar thickets up here in N. Mo. but I have never seen them flush like in parts of Ok. and Kan. I was thinking limestone had a part but I am not sure how much of that there is where you are doing so well. I just know it takes a lot of rain.

11. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

The size of most of them you guys find is impressive. I won, at a 1000 of them that size you should be approaching 40 lbs.

3 people like this.
  12. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

1 person likes this.
  13. iwonagain

Found another 130 morels; some still quite fresh (all under cedars) - total for the season near 1050-1100 morels :). Total distance walked/crawled in the woods over the last 6 days: ~40 miles. IMG-5818.JPG

14. jslwalls

jslwalls Morel Connoisseur

Are you hunters in Oklahoma referring to the Eastern Red Cedar or another species if you don’t mind me asking.

2 people like this.
  15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

yep, those are the ones. Actually a type of juniper I think. I rarely find anything on them in MO., for some reason its different as you go west. You get entire forests of them in some places.

3 people like this.
  16. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Funny how the miles add up. As long as the morels are out there somewhere and you know it, it does not seem so long. Hot dry days with no morels or few to hope for and a couple of miles seems like ten.

17. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Amazing finds all!! Sure you folks are reporting from Okie and not heaven? ;) I know that's how finds gotta be in heaven. I die and go to heaven just lookin' at ch'yall's finds! :rolleyes:

I will make it down there one year . . . thinking when my girl graduates. My WHOLE life my Dad has talked about Oklahoma and the time he spent doing some training down there in the early 60s. A hardcore (and the best) outdoorsman I know, he says he has never seen so many bugs as he did down there . . . said it was a miserable and relentless assault each and every day. Said it was summer time. Is it like that in the spring, too?

3 people like this.
  18. iwonagain

Couldn't resist to go into the woods in the pouring rain for about 45 min-1h [until my clothes were soaked] and found these ~35 beauties - total for the season reaching 1100 morels. No shrooms shall be left behind ! ;) IMG-5831.JPG

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  19. Morelman0823

Morelman0823 Young Morel

Anyone in kay county willing to show me some spots? Or give me some coordinates to look? Had one person show me one spot and then got super shitty about it. Trying to get my kids off the screens and into nature! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.