Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

181 - 200 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Yep iwon a lot that I found today was dry to the touch as well. And the woods was real dry we definitely need some rain
There is unfortunately no rainfall in the forecast for the next 7 days at least; dry, hot downslope as we are in a zonal synoptic pattern with the jet stream (storm track) located too far north.

·
Registered
251 Posts
We got sub surface moisture out the butt. Plenty for more morels. Sure the ones that pop are gonna be a little wind burned if they been out a day or two. Don't mean season is over. Still plenty of hunting left.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another 110 morels today most found in 2 spots with all others producing squat. Total for the season near ~650 morels. From the model data, looks like the season will be over by mid next week and probably be the worse season in Central OK since 2017.
View attachment 37247
You sure find an insane amount of morels, do you have a lot of private property you can hunt?!

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is funny you mention Bob Dylan because I had that quote in mind. I am a big fan of Dylan and have all his pre 1980 records on LP (including bootlegs). If you listen to the song, the quote is a metaphor that has, in fact, nothing to do with the weather itself but is linked to the political turmoils at the time (mid 60's). The wind direction here is a metaphor for Society to fight back (winds of change or change in wind direction) against the political/societal outrages at the time (Vietnam war, racial injustice etc ...).
You crack me up, entirely too much information in that brain of yours! 😂. But the truth is the truth! 😉

·
Registered
57 Posts
Damb nice finds iwon I’m still looking for that first hunted around eufala lake yesterday think they had too much rain to much standing water everywhere I went Hoping I’m wrong

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
April always has the most!
Either on a late or early year, the bulk of the finds (with fresh specimens) almost always is during the first week of April for Central OK. Back home in Switzerland, the season starts around the 1st week of May (northern latitudes); rain, however, never is a real problem for us. I see some models trending wetter for the 12-15th period so we will see if, despite this heat (which has been downgraded from the mid 80s to upper 70s; which is still above average), late cedar patches will still manage to do their magic...The greater resilience of morels to dry soils lies in the fact that they are hollow (including the foot/stem).

·
Registered
61 Posts
@iwonagain you kick ass. I'm curious as to how many acres you (and I guess anyone else who cares to respond) hunt, and the breakdown between public and private land. I'm up in Minnesota, and this is the first year I've been really aggressive about securing private land to hunt on so I can lessen my dependence on public land. I've secured about 500 wooded acres of excellent looking private land, plus the usual 1000ish acres of public land I (and dozens – if not hundreds – of others) hunt. I'm excited to hunt land that experiences absolutely no hunting pressure aside from my own (and trespassers I suppose).

·
Registered
883 Posts
Morels will surprise you. A few years ago a spot I hunt in Central Kansas had gone weeks with no rain of any kind. My picking buddies and I had kind of wrote the spot off for the year. Then one of them decided to hit it anyway on the way home from another spot. The morels were there anyway. We were shocked to say the least. Between us we have hunted morels for over a hundred years and we still can't figure that one out. You just never know if you don't go look. But in general wetter is better.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Either on a late or early year, the bulk of the finds (with fresh specimens) almost always is during the first week of April for Central OK. Back home in Switzerland, the season starts around the 1st week of May (northern latitudes); rain, however, never is a real problem for us. I see some models trending wetter for the 12-15th period so we will see if, despite this heat (which has been downgraded from the mid 80s to upper 70s; which is still above average), late cedar patches will still manage to do their magic...The greater resilience of morels to dry soils lies in the fact that they are hollow (including the foot/stem).
I am hoping with you Iwon. In 2013 I picked morels in the Missouri River bottoms north of Omaha. Then the very same week picked on cedar on the Kan./Okl. border. A 300 plus mile difference in latitude. It was the second week of May. Cooler temps and rain, please shroom gods.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Everything is a little late this year because of the deep freeze. Took longer to warm the ground. Big sacks of big morels still happening.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Is your leaf cover a little sparse from the late cold snap? You can sure tell those are not from cedar groves.
We actually found quite a few under cedars but the largest (least fresh) specimens all were under elms. The leaf litter varied greatly but most were found in areas with relatively little leaf cover.

181 - 200 of 262 Posts