Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

201 - 220 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
@iwonagain you kick ass. I'm curious as to how many acres you (and I guess anyone else who cares to respond) hunt, and the breakdown between public and private land. I'm up in Minnesota, and this is the first year I've been really aggressive about securing private land to hunt on so I can lessen my dependence on public land. I've secured about 500 wooded acres of excellent looking private land, plus the usual 1000ish acres of public land I (and dozens – if not hundreds – of others) hunt. I'm excited to hunt land that experiences absolutely no hunting pressure aside from my own (and trespassers I suppose).
Most come from private land, with some of these areas being quite large [> 1km2]. In fact, for three of these parcels, I only managed to explore 20-30% of the total wooded areas simply because I already find plenty enough in my spots already. Few of my spots are on public land, but these usually don't produce much and are heavily sought after.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Most come from private land, with some of these areas being quite large [> 1km2]. In fact, for three of these parcels, I only managed to explore 20-30% of the total wooded areas simply because I already find plenty enough in my spots already. Few of my spots are on public land, but these usually don't produce much and are heavily sought after.
Jeepers that's a lot of land! There isn't a ton of undeveloped land in the countryside around me — most is agricultural land. I did manage to nail down about 1km2 of beautiful wooded land along a creek with several prime elms. Between the three parcels I've nailed down this year I've got >2km2 of wooded land to work all to myself and I couldn't be happier!

With the weather being as it is in Southern Minnesota we might be seeing our first morels in < a week. Would be a record early year for me. In terms of heating degree days we're about thirteen days ahead of last year so hopefully it cools down a bit and we can have a nice long season. Anyways thanks for the info and happy hunting!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Only had time to spend ~1h in one of my cedar spots before being chased out by lightning flashes; found about 3 dozen stumps as well, so there probably was quite a few more there just a few days ago. Still got 150 morels --> 1800 morels total thus far for the season.

·
Registered
61 Posts
and these were about 2 m away from a path-I honestly don't know how come no one managed to see them.
The second batch I found last year there was literally a mushroom growing out of the path. I ended up finding 30-40 shrooms off that. Then later in the season I was out for a walk in a park that I've never hunted because I was convinced it was too heavily hunted and lo and behold I found four less than a meter from the path! Saw em out the corner of my eye while I was walking and ended up finding 10+ more!

At this point I'm pretty convinced that the absolute most heavily trafficked areas are almost better for hunting because everyone assumes they're hunted to death.

201 - 220 of 262 Posts