Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

161 - 180 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Somebody been finding a shit lot. I had more morels so I lookd for buyer. I find shroombuyer in classifieds and he was in norman. We met at loves and he pay me 410 cash for my morels. he opened a door on a big thermo king refer in back of his van to keep morel cold and i never saw so many. All shelves were full. He said about 200 pounds. I am taking a pic next time. It was awesome. I am following season north.

·
Registered
6 Posts
good to hear from you rusty. I looking for partner to hunt season north. Had accident 8 year ago first time back. new site here since last time. It was 28 guy this year. I used to sell to hot blonde was hoping see her. Daughter he said. Get my number from tim call me if u want hunt.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Somebody been finding a shit lot. I had more morels so I lookd for buyer. I find shroombuyer in classifieds and he was in norman. We met at loves and he pay me 410 cash for my morels. he opened a door on a big thermo king refer in back of his van to keep morel cold and i never saw so many. All shelves were full. He said about 200 pounds. I am taking a pic next time. It was awesome. I am following season north.
How many pounds you sell

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
I can tell by the pic that season has a long way to go. Not near being over. April is always the best.
With 6 days of 75+F weather, overall low RH, and a lack of rainfall for the next 10 days, the season in Central OK will be over by the end of next week. The ones in my photo came from an average-to-late spot. I went to an average spot today and nearly half were showing signs of drying or were already completely dry. Now, if we manage to get at least 0.5in-0.75in of rainfall in the coming 7-10 days, things could change but primarily under thicker cedar groves in lower terrain. None of my late cedar spots have produced yet but if the 24h-average 4in soil temp exceeds 60F, the mycelium will shut down until next year.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Found a few (~45) today on a very busy public area not far from home, some growing right by the trail. Many were already dry or drying out. The fresh ones came from two clusters under one cedar tree in a thicker grove - another cluster under that same tree was already completely dry.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
I never trust a weather man's prediction. Only right one out of 20 times. Season is just starting.
You don't really trust much except yourself it seems and, not surprisingly, this is why you'll never learn. Model guidance has significantly improved over the last 20 years alone; I am a numerical weather prediction modeler so I happen to be very well positioned to know this. Obviously, you have absolutely no clue about the level of complexity these models involve, from the physics to the numerics and the ensemble/hybrid variational data assimilation approaches. I invite you to read the scientific literature on the subject and, perhaps, only then, we could have a meaningful conversation. The complexity of weather systems is - in a nuthsell - traced back to what folks have often been calling the "butterfly effect", which in mathematics is what the late Ed Lorenz referred to as chaotic systems: an infinitesimal changes in your initial conditions (current sate of the weather) leads to very large (uncontrolled) changes in your final solution (the forecast); this behavior is tied to the mathematical properties of the nonlinear, coupled partial differential equations governing the atmosphere. There is far more to a "graphical forecast" than meets the eye.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Still only right one out of ten times. I have learned enough to fill my sack every year. 35 yrs of turkey chasing has uncovered many honey holes. I don't need a weatherman to see which way the wind blows. Learned that form Mr. Bob Dylan.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Still only right one out of ten times. I have learned enough to fill my sack every year. 35 yrs of turkey chasing has uncovered many honey holes. I don't need a weatherman to see which way the wind blows. Learned that form Mr. Bob Dylan.
Well they may be right one time out of 10 but thats usually if they say it will rain and it don't. If they say it isn't going to rain or doesn't look likely then It doesn't rain. You may find some mushrooms on in to April, not like you should be finding now but I believe iwonagain is right, it pretty much common sense no moisture and Temps around 80 is no good for morels.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
It is funny you mention Bob Dylan because I had that quote in mind. I am a big fan of Dylan and have all his pre 1980 records on LP (including bootlegs). If you listen to the song, the quote is a metaphor that has, in fact, nothing to do with the weather itself but is linked to the political turmoils at the time (mid 60's). The wind direction here is a metaphor for Society to fight back (winds of change or change in wind direction) against the political/societal outrages at the time (Vietnam war, racial injustice etc ...).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Don't give up yet. Thicker cover still has a lot of moisture. Still a lot of moisture in semi shady too. I almost always find more in the big yellow johnson grass mixed with the knee high buck brush. Plum thickets mixed in makes it even better. Areas like this are also protected from direct winds.

161 - 180 of 262 Posts