Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone hunt other types of shrooms, like chantrels, puffs or chicken of the woods?

I have hunted them, but haven't had much (or any) luck here in Kansas. I know they exist, but I wonder what areas to look for chantrels? And in what months?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I find chanterelles in mid summer. Usually along the edge of woods or in the woods around shrubs (younger thicker growth, I seldom find them in mature woods). They do seem to be associated with oaks and hillsides.
I've also found hen of the woods, oysters, and lobster. My main chase is morels though. I love morels over all of them!

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can find hens at the base of Oak trees... mature oak trees ... havent found lobsters or oysters but I hunt other ones like boletes, milk caps, chickens, turkey tails, reishi, lion mane, puffballs, chaga, russula, pheasant back.... good luck hunting!! keep trying and make sure you do spore prints etc if not sure!!! You can never be too careful!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My timing isn't good for hens. I tend to find them too old to eat.

I'm always very careful to triple check everything I eat except for the obvious ones. There are several that I'm pretty sure I've found but never eaten just because I wasn't 100% sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honestly, I would rather hunt, then eat, any of them. Finding them is nice, but worst case scenario I get a day in the woods.
Good to hear I'm not the only one. I eat none of the mushrooms I find, they are all for my wife and friends. I like the time alone on my walk in the woods. I do like ramps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts