Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found these on the same decaying stump. Not sure if they are the same. Wondering if they might be Oyster mushrooms. They do have gills. I left them alone but will go back tomorrow with my mushroom books to try and ID. Any advice is welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Do this. Cut some, take them home and get a spore print. If you have not done one before, cut the cap off, what of it there is, and lay it, gill side down on a piece of tin foil. Tin foil is handy because almost no mushroom species throws spore in that color. The spore print of an oyster should be white to lilac/grey.

Also, cut some more and take more pics. You cannot have too much data when trying to ID a wild mushroom! And even if we tell you that those are DEFINITELY oysters, cook only a small piece the first time you eat them and check for reactions. Mycological chemistry, and human body chemistry, are far too complicated to be decided by pics!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good deal make sure your positive about the mushrooms you eat if you get it wrong they could make you verry sick or possibly kill you. Any more questions on the shrooms you find just post some picks of top and bottom and the more experienced members on here will help you out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are Hypholoma capnoides
Thank you! We went out today and got some real oysters. I feel confident in our ID today. Ate just a tiny cooked bit today just to be safe.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts