PA 2018 FALL MUSHROOM FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Sep 2, 2018.

1. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Red one is a russula. Weird white clumps are Abortive Entoloma. Grey ones, I don't know. Last one is a puffball type, I believe.

Barnacle and Good hunt like this.
  2. morel4ever

morel4ever Morel Enthusiast

Not sure of the ones attached to the tree, but the ones on the ground that look like old white dog poo my buddy calls those Coal Hearts. Cut them open & they have a very slight red tint in the middle. Not sure if they're edible.

Barnacle and Good hunt like this.

3. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

Took the beagle for a walk this afternoon and found hens and chickens.My beagle just found squirrels but she had just as much fun. IMG_3782.JPG IMG_3783.JPG

Gibz, Barnacle, Good hunt and 4 others like this.
  4. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

i am finding tons of honeys right now. They flushed about 2 weeks ago and i thought they were done. I have picked close to 3 5 gallon bucket fulls and still a lot more to be picked. I did find 5 hens yesterday but i was probably a day or 2 late. They had a rusty color on the meat of the mushroom and the other parts looks as if the bugs made their own roads on the rest of it. I am hopeful friday will be good after the rain.

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  5. beagleboy

What is the best way to store hens. I vacuum sealed and froze some, but I am planning on doing some more and was wondering if that would preserve the flavor the best. I know you are supposed to saute chanterelles before freezing. I dried the trumpets and the oysters.

6. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Beagle, When you freeze any mushroom you want to remove the moisture and the best way I've found is to saute them down in butter or olive oil. The way you want to do it is watch the pan when the steam stops coming off the mushrooms they are ready, let them cool then freeze. I dry most of my mushrooms and that works well for morels and trumpets but the others I saute. I'm more of a fresh mushroom eater anymore, I look forward to the different mushroom seasons and eat them until I'm sick of them. I Have a nice batch of hens, chestnuts and homemade wine ready for a party this weekend with family and friends, been doing this for years and everybody looks forward to it. We celebrate what the seasons give us! Happy Hunting!!

Barnacle, Gibz, beagleboy and 3 others like this.
  7. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

I agree, nothing beats staying in touch with Mother Nature by being in the woods (and for me hunting mushrooms).

Enjoy your weekend celebration.

8. beagleboy

Thanks trahn, I really like the hens with venison and I want to preserve some for the winter to eat with venison steaks. I have been trying to give away what I haven't been eating myself but a lot of my friends just wanted enough to try them. Right now I am just hunting trees for future years.

Barnacle likes this.
  9. beagleboy

From what I am reading on this forum this is an unusual year for hens. This is the first year I have hunted them and they seem plentiful if you find the right trees. I have found a fair amount of trees lately with multiple ones around it. Is this common in other years.

Barnacle likes this.
  10. trahn008

Beagle it has been a very good year for hens, they like a lot of moisture during the summer months and we got it this year. Think I've never been without a hen for 40 years, but some dry years are harder than most. Hens aren't as temp sensitive as they are moisture and light exposure sensitive. Happy Hunting!

Barnacle and beagleboy like this.
  11. snowbrdr1220

snowbrdr1220 Morel Enthusiast

At my best spot most of the trees with hens all get multiples every year. My other spots I usually only find one at a time though. Found these last week. Went out tonight after work for a fresh one, to make pepperoni mushroom pizza with, and found the small dark brown one in my hand. The same tree had another that had turned to mush and got buggy right next to it, so took that one.

Been doing everything I can to save them; sauteeing and freezing vaccum sealed, dehydrated and in a jar, marinated and grilled them with italian dressing, and also tried a basil garlic vinigrette. Pickled them in a jar with onion, apple cider viniger, olive oil, brown sugar, salt, parsley, oregano, thyme and red pepper flake. The pickled ones were awesome with some fresh bakery bread, havarti cheese, and dried salumi, like a charcutery board. Been eating on pizza, tossed with pasta, basically eating them with everything! lol

IMG_20181011_185238435.jpg IMG_20181004_185949066.jpg IMG_20181004_185813873.jpg
    IMG_20181004_171747742.jpg
    IMG_20181004_171138765.jpg

Barnacle, Gibz, Good hunt and 5 others like this.
  12. steelernation

A day late and a dollar short, I hit a nearby forest for an hour of mushroom hunting. Got 3 hens that were a day or so past prime, saw lots of honeys, but almost all were damp and slimy, and some small puffballs that I love to cook, which were perfect. Going to try heading south mid-week to see what WV has in store.

13. beagleboy

Found these around a dead stump. IMG_3784.JPG IMG_3785.JPG

14. beagleboy

This one probably won't come up next year, there wasn't much left of the stump. IMG_3787.JPG

15. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

16. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hey everyone. Had a good day today. I picked half of these on my lunch hour (long lunch) the other half on my way home. The pic of the table that is not full is some what I found last week that is still in my fridge. I was afraid they would start rotting if left out in the rain so I couldn't help but pick them all. The majority were from people's front yards. All from one neighborhood. I just started nocking on doors. People were mostly amused that I would actually eat them. Turns out that this neighborhood had some kind of wooly something or other that was affecting the oaks in years past. I wonder if that damaged the trees making them prone to the miatake fungus. The home owner told me that the state "quarantined the trees" at one time. If so I bet that is a researchable condition that could help all of us find some really good hunting areas. The state must have records of areas affected. I love the variations of how these look. The 3rd pic shows what looks like 2 hens but they are connected to each other like one from the same tree yet look like two different hens.
    Also I finally started finding king boletes and of all places my own backyard, and my parents front yard ‍♂️. IMG_8368.JPG IMG_8428.JPG IMG_8439.JPG IMG_8474.JPG IMG_8482.JPG

17. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Ps, that stainless steel table is 10 ft long. So lots of processing to do. I just got a bunch 1/2 gal ball jars. I was thinking of doing some pickling but have never had a pickled shroom does anyone have any killer recipes. I also was going to do some hedge hogs. Snowbrdr1220's and beagles posts had my mouth watering!

18. steelernation

Holy. #%[email protected] Heck!

That is almost criminal...in people's yards, to boot. And King's! I'm doing a lot of running around this week, and I can only hope to find 25% of what you got. Fantastic!

There are a lot of pickled hen recipes, but you'd fill 100 1/2 gallon jars with that! I mean, JEEBUS! What a haul!

19. trahn008

Very well done Barnacle!! Happy Hunting!

20. steelernation

Yeah, we went out for 2 hours to local gamelands, and have a small bag 1/2 full of honey mushrooms for our efforts. This game is rigged!