PA 2018 FALL MUSHROOM FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

IMG_8504.JPG
    I got the cheat code from trahn008. (Edges!) Thanks trahn.
    Had another good lunch hour. The stuff in the middle is from lunch today (-15lbs that I gave away) stuff on right I had in the fridge and took out for the picture. (Couldn't help myself) I'm glad it's getting cold otherwise I don't know how I would be able to store these while I process / sell / give away these. So far I've doled out 80- 100lbs of hens not including these. I still have some out in the wild. Also I found chants (2) & trumpets growing on Sunday while hunting didn't take any as I was in stealth mode. But cool to see. Good luck out there.

2. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I am still finding some good hens. We are supposed to get a hard freeze here in Snyder county tonight, we had a frost last night. Do you think that will end it. IMG_3788.JPG

3. beagleboy

Barnacle, that is incredible! You must have really good spots.

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  4. beagleboy

I am still finding some hens but they aren't in very good shape. I found these today while hunting. The first one was at a tree I found one at the beginning of the month. IMG_3789.JPG IMG_3790.JPG IMG_3791.JPG

2 people like this.
  5. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Barnacle: I'd like to become your friend. Then you can dole out hens to me :p

I've spent the last 4 days in WV, and found exactly 0 hens. You truly are living a magical life this fall season. I don't hate you; I just hate the game :p

6. beagleboy

I had the last of my fresh hens for breakfast this morning, I hope I can find a few more. I really like a handful in potatoes, onions, fresh sliced jalapeno peppers in a little olive oil. A great breakfast on a cold, frosty morning. I wonder how bad the withdrawal will be if I don't find anymore. Ha Ha

Gibz and (deleted member) like this.
  7. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Ahh, the key is to not find almost any to begin with :p

Oh well, I'm complaining about ONLY finding around 25# of hen...what's wrong with ME!

beagleboy likes this.
  8. beagleboy

I found 5 more hens today and all were too far gone. Is anyone in Pa finding good ones yet. I am close to the center of the state in Snyder county. I found one that was really dry and hard but looked perfect. I didn't have my camera today.

9. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Beagle haven't been out looking, been chasing tail. Hunt Like A Beast!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Gibz and beagleboy like this.
  10. beagleboy

I have found over 50 trees with hen of the woods, a lot of them I was too late but if what I heard is true I should have a very good year next year. Just in this past week I went to a new area and found seven very large ones around four trees but all were rotten. I did get a couple of squirrels for pot pie.

Gibz and (deleted member) like this.
  11. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

Same here, i stopped looking to concentrate on deer. 2 weeks ago i was just still hunting and i found Hens at almost every oak tree on a side of the hill. Sad part is i stayed out of that area from hunting mushrooms so i wouldnt spook the deer before archery season. Lesson learned. I wrote it down in my book of areas i find them so i know where to go next year. Funny when i was hunting them only found 5, not hunting for them found mother loads but to far gone.

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  12. trahn008

Been out chasing tail, stand on the back and mobile, covered alot of ground the last three weeks ran into some old hens but haven't came across any blewits yet (which kind of surprised me). Hunt Like A Beast!

Gibz and beagleboy like this.
  13. trahn008

Beagle, what you heard is true. Congrats on staying with it and hitting it hard, it will all pay off down the road. Happy Hunting!

beagleboy likes this.
  14. beagleboy

I thawed out a bag of my frozen hens on Friday and they almost tasted as good as fresh, but I wish I hadn't vacuum sealed as many in one container. I had put about what I thought I would need for 3 meals and the ones I didn't use on Friday seemed to get soggy and didn't have as much flavor. Oh well live and learn.

15. DoctaGreen

DoctaGreen Morel Enthusiast

What a Year..... I have pounds of turkey tail, fomes fomentarius, blushing bracket, artist conk, chicken of the woods, hen of the woods, and unfortunately someone picked chaga kinda early. But shit I am good to go. Also going to start making tinctures to sell since I have so much and hate to waste it

1 person likes this.
  16. DoctaGreen

DoctaGreen Morel Enthusiast

First tincture I Started. Prunella Vulgaris , Turkey tail , and Reishi(Ganoderma Tsugae). 100 proof alcohol and I am going to add Glycerin in later extracts. Any input would be nice.

tincturenumber11172018.jpg

17. trahn008

1 person likes this.
  18. beagleboy

I used the last of my frozen hens this morning. I found if I took them from the freezer and put them right in a hot pan with olive oil they held their texture and flavor just like fresh ones. I still have some dried trumpets and oysters. IMG_3795.JPG

Gibz likes this.
  19. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

beagleboy . . . You forgot to invite me to breakfast!

I use dried hens (Maitake) occasionally, but don't use frozen hens -- not because of any other reason than I don't have a freezer.

Am I missing something?

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  20. beagleboy

sb it must have gotten lost in the mail. This is the first year I hunted hens so I didn't really know how to store them but vacuum sealing and freezing worked for me. Next season I am going to dry some like I did the trumpets and oysters. Can't wait for morel season

1 person likes this.