PA 2018 FALL MUSHROOM FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Sep 2, 2018.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Beagle, I'm thinkin morels already! LOL.. The time of the year we get a chance to share what we hunted, gathered and foraged with friends and family. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

Yes trahn I was thinking about morels while hunting deer this year . During last spring I didn't find a single black morel, so when I found an area with big tulip poplars while hunting I marked it down to return in the spring. I don't know if I will have time to check all the spots, but I am going to try. MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR

3. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

For the last two weeks, I've seen late fall oysters all over the place, but always either in the rain or on a road I couldn't stop on.

Trahn, have you ever had shiitakes fruit in mid-December before? I stopped at a customer's on Sunday the 23rd and her husband gave me over a pound of very fresh shiitakes that he had just cut. In December! Fantastic ones.

Cheers to all.

4. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

I just saw on a hunting forum that someone picked a hen on 12/22 and had a pic to prove it. Never found any this late but his was in fayette county.

5. Gibz

Gibz Morel Enthusiast

Wacky weather. I had 2 degrees one morning at the beginning of the week and 60 at the end of the week. I joked with the wife that we should go out and look for oysters. Now I wish I would have. Oh well, maybe I will see some tomorrow taking the smoke pole for a walk. Happy New Years all.

6. trahn008

Steeler, I've never had shiitake that late but I do know of some cold weather strains that will fruit in colder weather. They sure have thick heavy caps when they fruit in the cold. I have three different strains one warm weather and 2 cool weather. The last flush I got from mine was Sept. 30. Happy Hunting!

7. trahn008

Steeler, the Sept 30 flush, big thick and heavy. BC609305-0AFE-4BCB-8F0C-909941406096.jpeg

8. trahn008

PC, I never found one that late, that's cool. Was out flintlock hunting today and got attacked by a swarm of bugs, don't think that ever happened to me before.

beagleboy likes this.
  9. steelernation

Trahn, the ones I was given varied in size, and I don't think any were that large, but some were thick. They are delicious, too!

You still selling dried ones?

beagleboy likes this.
  10. trahn008

Steeler I do, but I don't have any left. I'll keep you in mind come spring. You like them dried whole cap?

11. trahn008

12. steelernation

He had told me the one that fruited was his spring strain. In addition, he's been growing his on maple?!?!

Sure, whole caps. Let me know. All my contact info is still the same. Cheers!

13. beagleboy

I hope everyone has a happy and healthy new year. May your mushroom bags and baskets overflow this year!!!!!

3 people like this.
  14. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Won’t be long now, about 120 days or so. Just enough time to get out scouting & discover new trees!!

15. ajack

ajack Morel Enthusiast

We've been above freezing for over a week now here near Pittsburgh and looking at 50 tomorrow. Anyone think oysters might be fruiting? I've found tons of late falls, some velvet foots and brickcaps but no real oysters yet this winter.

1 person likes this.
  16. steelernation

For the last 3 weeks, I've seen late fall oysters in many places. Definitely keep your eyes open!

17. beagleboy

I found these on Jan 2 in Mifflin co. I had just finished the last of my dried oysters. IMG_3796.JPG

18. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Ice maybe ???

19. ajack

ajack Morel Enthusiast

So this year I dried, vacuum sealed and then put in the freezer some hens. Imo, they'll be perfectly preserved for hundreds of years. Still haven't busted any out to see what they're like.

Also, not plurotus ostreatus this weekend in about 3 hours of walking. Found a football size lions mane about 25 feet up and spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out how to harvest it to no avail. Late falls were everywhere but I passed. The taste of them doesn't blend well with IPAs

20. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

I think it is a disease.... I can’t look at a piece of woods be it in a friends backyard or going 50mph down the road and not try to assess the possibility of mushrooms ..... now I can’t stop thinking about our record setting precipitation last year and what it will do for this year. ?????? What did those lazy mycelium do all summer? Good luck to all...

Jmay, beagleboy, Gibz and 2 others like this.