PA 2018 LATE SPRING MUSHROOMS CHIT CHAT

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, May 14, 2018.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

A place to ask questions and post pictures for ID help. Non morel.. Happy Hunting!

2. trahn008

With my morel season winding down.. not over but I did hear a fat lady singing yesterday. My next target mushroom for me will be Ganoderma Tsugae (Reishi mushroom) they grow on dead hemlock. Don't find many of the hardwood strain Ganoderma Lucidum but the tsugae keep me busy. I like to harvest these young and dry them, for my winter tea's and tinctures. You can eat them when young and soft, but more of a medical mushroom. Also will be looking for oysters, lions mane, chickens etc. Happy Hunting!

3. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I also hunt the Reishi mushroom but I eat the white edge. I think it is pretty good. I have never tried the tea. One mushroom I have never found is the chicken of the woods I want to try it this year, when do they appear and where.

Barnacle likes this.
  4. trahn008

Beagle, we should start seeing them really soon. You want to be looking in old hardwood forest's. Most are found on logs, stumps and still standing dead hardwood tree's. Happy Hunting!

Barnacle and beagleboy like this.
  5. beagleboy

Thanks trahn.

Barnacle likes this.
  6. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

I think Morel season is over in my area. I did find 2 last night and no more this morning. I go camping every Memorial day and always saw a pile of mushrooms and never thought twice about what they were. They are reishi mushrooms. Cant wait until memorial weekend now. I could easily fill a mushroom bag full they are always there every year and there is a ton. Happy hunting. I am starting to see some chickens starting to grow so i will keep my eye on those in the coming weeks.

Barnacle likes this.
  7. trahn008

pc, what county do you go camping? Sounds like a place very close to my house.

Barnacle likes this.
  8. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

poe valley

1 person likes this.
  9. PAtrapper37

PAtrapper37 Morel Connoisseur

This full time job thing is really cutting into my mushroom picking

10. trahn008

Trapper..Have the same problem..LOL. Happy Picking!

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  11. wildshroomer

wildshroomer Morel Connoisseur

I've noticed a lot of pheasant backs and oysters just starting to spread out...most were about 2-3 inches across

Barnacle likes this.
  12. beagleboy

I don't seem to be able to get out of mushroom hunting mode. Today my cousin and I went trout fishing and I found myself looking under every dead elm I came to. I did find lots of pheasant backs and managed to catch some trout. lol

13. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

C180E810-C20E-48C8-B0C9-BC2312E8FE2D.jpeg
    I have the same problem. In fact last fall I had it so bad I took up deer hunting to give me another reason to stay in the woods. Now I’m off the deep end into that. Ordered a new (to me) bow off Ebay, can’t wait to get started with that. Any of you guys seasoned bow hunters or know of a site like this for that subject? Thinking about starting to fish also, my 4 yr old caught his first 2 fish today a “piranha” & a sunny he says.
    Trahn my boys look like your boys ages the entire outfit in this picture is craghopper brand clothes with “insect shield” pretreatment (permethrin). I got 2 full outfits pants, long sleeve shirts, & hoodies for $100 on Sierra trading post. Great deal for peace of mind I thought.

14. trahn008

We're hunter gathers my nature, we've just let the world put us in little boxes so they can control us! I'm always hunting for something..KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! OK OFF MY SOAPBOX. Barnacle, you could give tradgang a try, great group of folks (Not a site for compound bow guys). Thanks 4 the tips on the gear. Happy Hunting!

Barnacle likes this.
  15. trahn008

Barnacle just remember it's not how many FPS your bow will shoot it's how close you can get to your game without them knowing your there. Check out the Hunting Beast DAN IS THE MAN!! Been hunting deer this way all my life, and it works. His video's are money well spent!

16. Barnacle

Yes! “Without them knowing your there”. I feel the same way about that as well as getting in crazy close. That’s the best part, even if you decide not to take the deer. Thanks I’ll check out the beast and tradguys. My new bow is compound but I do have my dads old recurve that I would like to become proficient with as well.

2 people like this.
  17. beagleboy

I need some information I think I found a tree with oysters on it ,a lot of them, but I think most of them are to far gone. Will they flush on the same tree next year. The tree is still standing but is dead. I will post some pictures tomorrow. I am a novice when it comes to mushrooms except for morels and reshi. So I will need a positive id too.

Barnacle likes this.
  18. wildshroomer

wildshroomer Morel Connoisseur

I'm a big bow hunter...i video tape all my hunts...im on this site....all kinds of great people and information....

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/?404=true#/?page=4

19. trahn008

Beagle post up your pic's.. I did see some oysters today while hunting in the heavy rain. Happy Hunting!

beagleboy likes this.
  20. Barnacle

Cool thanks I’ll check it out. I had shoulder surgery in March and while I was healing up I binge watched solo hunter on YouTube & meat eater. I’ve considered strapping on the GoPro this year but I’m definitely not skilled enough of a hunter to focus on anything other than making the shot. Tomorrow I’m headed up to an 100+ acres of logged hillside it’s going to be covered in turkey tail. Hopefully the gobbling kind to. I’m wondering what else I should or could expect to see fungus wise. I’ve never harvested the turkey tail.