Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Are either of these the kind of ferns fiddle heads come from? The second pic shows some plants that were either eaten by dear or harvested by a forage which is what got me wondering. They are at one of my better morel spots & i am hoping it’s deer and not another mushroom hunter that found my spot.
DF3F1802-E234-4DD6-BB44-BFDF882F4AB6.jpeg
5FA82CAC-245B-48C1-AD37-842C2D272893.jpeg
2B36FF18-CE15-4AB2-BE52-2768D79216C7.jpeg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are either of these the kind of ferns fiddle heads come from? The second pic shows some plants that were either eaten by dear or harvested by a forage which is what got me wondering. They are at one of my better morel spots & i am hoping it’s deer and not another mushroom hunter that found my spot. View attachment 7242 View attachment 7243 View attachment 7244
It’s looking like patrapper is eating your fiddleheads.just kidding!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in NE PA. If your morel season is winding down you should start seeing chicken's really soon. The funny thing is I find a ton of chickens, and I really don't care for them. You really have to get them when young or just cut the leading edge off the older ones. It's a filler mushroom for me it carries the taste of what ever you put on it. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The above mushrooms are reishi not chickens I typed the wrong mushroom in the top of first picture.

·
Registered
598 Posts
IMG_3494.JPG
These were on another tree and were fresher. I took them also. How long will they keep. I don't like to eat much when I try a new mushroom. Will they propagate if I just lay some old ones on a elm log. Sorry for all the questions, but I have many more. Like what's the best way to get the beetle's out of the gills, they were loaded. Sorry about the picture of the gills.
IMG_3493.JPG

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beagle, Yes oysters. Take a smell of them they should smell like aniseed. As far as the beetles just a good washing. I never found oysters at that stage that never had beetles. I try to get them really young, like front side of caps rolled down. I call those beetles..HEY JUDE. GET IT..All we need is LOVE.. I'll be here all week!!LOL

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks trahn, I can't smell the anise but I don't smell the apricot smell chanterelles are suppose to have either. Are there any other mushrooms that look like them besides angel wings. I heard that angel wings only grow on conifers.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Taking spore print. Have another question do you ever find them on dead white ash, I saw some today that were only the size of a dime but I am pretty sure it was on an ash tree. I didn't have my camera to take any pictures.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts