Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Oysters are hard to find fresh in the wild. Beatles get on them quick. PAtrappers are at the perfect stage for harvest. Congrats!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Also Beagle not sure if those are chickens. Just going to have to go back and check in a week. Happy Hunting!
I went back and checked yesterday and they are not chickens. I saw where someone on another thread said chickens favor dead or diseased red oak. Most of the areas I have been looking are rock oak and chestnut oak. How long can the log be dead, I know of a few log landings where they cut the ends off the logs before they loaded them. It is pretty rough getting to them though.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Beagle yes try to target the red oak. They can be found on other oaks but your chances rise when your around red oak stands. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Beagle I try to stay out of clear cuts, for the reason you had stated. They tend to over grow fast and just much more easier ones to be had. With some time you'll get the feel for what woods you need to be in at what time. Most of everything I hunt game and mushrooms I HUNT THE EDGE has a lot to do with that mixed light exposure. You seem to be a very driven person when it comes mushrooming. Once summer hits you want to be hiking trails and paths hunting those edges. Yep mushrooms can be found in the woods but if you really look at where and why pay close attention to that mixed light exposure. I just like to be the game all the time and that's why I hunt edges. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
86B919B3-D445-4273-BAD1-563325B079AC.jpeg
One more harvest of tsuage and that should do it for me. We’ll the sun dry then in dehydrator only works if you bring your mushrooms in before it rains! Lol. Happy Hunting!

81 - 100 of 164 Posts