PA 2018 LATE SPRING MUSHROOMS FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, May 14, 2018.

1. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

These are ostrich ferns I picked you can tell because of the indent in the stalk to almost like celery and they are emerald green with a brown paper sack on them what you have there looks the same so I would say they are ostrich ferns which are delicious

Attached Files:

PAtrapper37 and beagleboy like this.
  2. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

Yesterday too far gone. IMG_3539.JPG

3. PAtrapper37

PAtrapper37 Morel Connoisseur

Nothing worse...one lot of woods that I pick oysters from I just recently noticed another tree that had them...too far gone

4. beagleboy

Well that was in an area that I never hunted before so I know it has oysters there. My 8 year old grandson was with me and he was going to pick them anyway because that was all we found in about 3hours.

PAtrapper37 likes this.
  5. beagleboy

Took the beagle for a walk this afternoon and found this chicken of the woods. I took a little from the edges to try I have never eaten it before. IMG_3541.JPG

6. beagleboy

I tried the chicken yesterday and I am still here so I guess I can eat it (lol). I like chanterelles, morels, and oysters better. I like the texture.

7. PAtrapper37

With the chickens I fry them in pan for a long time...little oil, pepper and garlic salt...they turn out pretty good

beagleboy likes this.
  8. PAtrapper37

89B1C665-3E92-4527-A784-7DDC35B2C04B.jpeg 4AAF6C26-FC30-4916-A5F4-F4A1D890634F.jpeg
    I’d like to try reishi tea that I’ve been hearing about...anybody have directions they’d like to share?

9. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

4AA5D1F7-1275-4F38-8D2D-2871AD2F4D2A.jpeg 0ACBD938-FEC7-46D1-81A3-C0A841053905.jpeg I’ve been wanting to try it as well I picked a bunch 2 weeks ago they’re just sitting in the garage still. I Think I found oysters today? Spore printing them now.

beagleboy likes this.
  10. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

PA, I like to dry my reishi out to make the tea. What I do is cut it down to smaller pieces when it's young and soft, then dry. Once you have it in this form you could do many things with it. The easy way is boil some water and pour into mug couple pieces of reishi and green tea bag and some honey. The reishi itself has a bitter taste to it, so it's something you have to get use too. Happy Hunting!

11. PAtrapper37

Do you dry all parts of it or do you use white tip for something else?

12. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

PA, the best way to use it is to wait until the white is gone, and preferably after the spores have been released. What we do is quarter a large one (after washing it), and then cutting it into 1/8" thick slices, before drying it in the dehydrator (an over-zealous landlord walled off our access to a huge roof drying area...). We prepare it a more Chinese way (#1 herb in Chinese medicine), and that involves a little more boiling, but you get a lot, so you only have to make it once a week or so. We each drink a mug or two a day, so we go through it a lot quicker than the average person. Lucky that we got lots last year, because this year had nothing in any of our spots.

If you have any more in-depth questions, ask, as we have studied a ton on it over the years. Your looks to be on hardwood, making it the lucidum species. The easier and larger option is on dead hemlocks, the tsugae species. The health benefits are nearly identical.

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  13. PAtrapper37

Curious on ratio of reishi to water when you guys make tea

14. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Steelernation: "the best way to use it is to wait until the white is gone, and preferably after the spores have been released"
    or anyone else:

Is there any known relation of stage of harvest of Red Reishi to amounts of polysaccharides & triterpines? Been wondering and haven't gotten around to researching Yet.

(I do 2 stage extracts and Red Reishi are going great in SE OH for me.)

15. steelernation

Well, I've studied it a lot, but we opt for the easier way of using a Chinese medicine double-boiler method to make tea. Using the spore powder would be better, but when you're picking 50-100#, washing off the dirt and bugs is part of the mix, so we lose a good bit of the spores. We've been drinking it daily for almost 9 years now, and whatever specifics we ingest seem to be doing the job.

PA - my wife uses 8-10 slices in a quart of water in a porcelain double-boiler, simmering it 60 minutes. The slices can be infused three times total, and at that point, she'll mix it all together in a large pitcher for use all week.

SB - are you picking lucidum on hardwoods, or tsugae on hemlocks?

16. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

17. steelernation

sb - Nice. I saw none like that this year.

Your cutting method is the same we do, and we use an Excaliber dehydrator. My wife makes a couple different alcohols, one using reishi and other Chinese herbs, brandy and honey, and another with reishi and cheap vodka just for topical use. I drink the brandy if I feel I need it to ward off something, but a fifth of that usually lasts me years. You should be getting a lot of benefit out of it with the way you use it. If you want to drive a scientist nuts, tell them that reishi is an overall system tonic. I've had scientist friends break their brains trying to tell me that that is an non-existent type of thing :p...

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  18. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

steeler - got that, re "scientists"

On the Reishi, I used to buy capsules for years from others through the internet even as I used to pass by the Reishi in the woods. No more. Having ridden the "learning curve" on the extracts, it does not involve much time on my part.

I also make and use is a two stage extract of Turkey tail.

On that one, the FDA finally approved cancer trials in the US in 2012-13 time, 30 years after Japan had approved it for cancer treatment.

Just last week a friend emailed to tell me that his wife had been diagnosed with cancer in several places in her body and the first and immediate thing they gave her was Turkey tail, even as they scheduled some of the more traditional western medicines/approaches for treatment, also.

Hey . . . happy hunting.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    beagleboy likes this.
  19. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

The last medicinal mushroom I regularly use is Lions Mane.

Over about 5 years, I've added enough improvements to my "let's find Lions mane" arsenel, that I no longer buy Herecium capsules on the internet either.

I typically find 20+ pounds that I'll bring home, dry and powder. I most commonly add it to cooked cereal, pancakes, gravies etc.

beagleboy and Barnacle like this.
  20. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

PAtrapper37 and (deleted member) like this.