PA 2018 SUMMER MUSHROOM FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Yeah, it was a welcome change of pace picking something other than trumpets. I did find a Handful right next to one of my miatake trees. Good luck!

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

I have been checking my Chant and black trumpet spots since last month and was starting to wonder if they were going to pop. This past week has been a big turnaround. Last year i was picking trumpets and chants like crazy in the middle of july but this year they are way late. Picked about 5lbs of trumpets the last 2 days and about 10lbs of chants. Happy hunting

3. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

4. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

Thanks Beatnik, my one book says edible with caution. Hard to find the thread with all this spam.

Barnacle likes this.
  5. Beatnik88

Yea, entalomas as a genus contain several poisonous species. The aborted version actually seems to be honey mushrooms that have become parasitized by entaloma mycelium and are edible

6. beagleboy

I think this chicken of the woods is the cincinnatius variety because it was growing on the ground and had white pores but the coloring on the top was more like the sulphureus. It was pretty old. IMG_3704.JPG

7. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

That I would say is lataporus cincinnatus but looks old

beagleboy likes this.
  8. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

6C3F8926-204F-410B-8118-A80EA49F0722.jpeg
    I’ll just leave this here

9. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Yeah, that's a lot of chicken, but none seems too fresh. For some, that's around the point that it becomes chalky and harder to digest. A respectable amount...

Yes, I thought that was an aborted ent, but it seems surprising to see it so early. I usually don't see them here until the Honeys are ready to come up, Octoberish.

10. Beatnik88

Same here, I usually start to see them mid to late September. Hopefully that means maitake may start early as well.

11. steelernation

I checked my one big maitake spot last weekend, and nothing. Damn mushrooms just don't behave like you think they will :)

Barnacle and beagleboy like this.
  12. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

Went for a walk yesterday in an area i havent stepped foot in yet and found about 3lbs of golden Chants that were just huge and a nice haul of cinnabar chants and some of them were nice sized as well. Also found 10 Ginseng plants with 5 being legal size for harvest Going to another area today. Happy hunting

13. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Both the aborted entoloma and the non-aborted are good to eat. Just make sure of your Id. on the non-aborted. To be safe, just pick the non-aborted when the aborted are in the area. IMGP0722.JPG IMGP0700.JPG

14. beagleboy

Thanks for all the information on the aborted entoloma and the id. I am not going to harvest it though. But can you tell me does it usually appear in the same spot each year.

15. steelernation

I've found that it does stay faithful to areas, as honey mushrooms tend to come back year after year. I've noticed that ents lead me to honeys, sometimes a few days before, but a decent indicator. Hope that helps you. Cheers.

16. Beatnik88

Last chants of the season

Attached Files:

Barnacle, Gibz and beagleboy like this.
  17. supplyguy1973

supplyguy1973 Morel Connoisseur

I got some today, had to leave a lot out because they were too far gone

18. beagleboy

Same here, I found 2 large areas filled with chants today but most were too far gone, barely got enough for a meal. IMG_3709.JPG IMG_3710.JPG IMG_3711.JPG But I did find a new spot for next year.

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Beatnik88

Anyone spot any hens yet? I just saw a post on Facebook claiming someone found their first batch for the year.

Barnacle likes this.
  20. Beatnik88

Anyone spot any hens yet? I just saw a post on Facebook claiming someone found their first batch for the year.

Barnacle likes this.