Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

361 - 380 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Beatnik I went back out to check the tree it was a white oak. I downloaded a better picture of the tree and a closer picture of the mushroom, it is the size of a softball. The petals just seem too small to be a black staining polypore, but it does look black where a fungus or something is attacking it. Also trahn I was doing some research on what I said looked like what you had. I don't think they are the same, my mistake.
IMG_3736.JPG
IMG_3735.JPG

·
Registered
103 Posts
Man i thought Chants were done. I live on 3 acres of woods and went for a walk a few minutes ago to see if there was any hens around the oak trees. To my surprise the ground is just completely covered with fresh Chants. First thing tomorrow i am picking. There has to be at least 3 grocery bags worth if not more. No bugs or browning. They just exploded from this rain and humidity. We have gotten 9 inches since Friday. Happy hunting

·
Registered
593 Posts
I hiked for 5 hours today looking for hen of the woods today, and didn't find any. I think I might have taken another one off my bucket list though. I think this is a lobster mushroom. I found it under several white pine trees on an oak hillside, in Centre co. Sorry about that second picture. It was of the underside but it got blurry.
IMG_3745.JPG
IMG_3746.JPG

·
Registered
160 Posts
I hiked for 5 hours today looking for hen of the woods today, and didn't find any. I think I might have taken another one off my bucket list though. I think this is a lobster mushroom. I found it under several white pine trees on an oak hillside, in Centre co. Sorry about that second picture. It was of the underside but it got blurry. View attachment 11234 View attachment 11236
Congrats beagle. I'm jealous, that's one I've still never found.

·
Registered
593 Posts
She wasn't tall enough so I had to call my nephew to bring a ladder, lol. That tree was covered in ivy poison, I don't react to it but my wife does.

361 - 380 of 395 Posts