Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Barnacle are you picking chants yet? Surprised they are up already, really haven't been out yet. Going out next week for milk, chants and trumpets. Just hasn't seem warm enough for them yet. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Barnacle are you picking chants yet? Surprised they are up already, really haven't been out yet. Going out next week for milk, chants and trumpets. Just hasn't seem warm enough for them yet. Happy Hunting!
Thanks Trahn, not picking yet. They have been here for a while now just not growing fast at all. Steelernations probably right though the heat or slugs are going to get them if I don’t.

I have a spot on a high traffic trail that hundreds of chants come up on and get trampled by kids at a summer camp type place. Question is could I take a flat shovel and skim the top inch of bare soil with all the pins in it and transplant them to a safer spot? It’s such a bummer seeing them get trampled.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks Trahn, not picking yet. They have been here for a while now just not growing fast at all. Steelernations probably right though the heat or slugs are going to get them if I don’t.

I have a spot on a high traffic trail that hundreds of chants come up on and get trampled by kids at a summer camp type place. Question is could I take a flat shovel and skim the top inch of bare soil with all the pins in it and transplant them to a safer spot? It’s such a bummer seeing them get trampled.
No, I wouldn't. The myc matrix runs at times 6inches, soil depth. Happy Hunting

·
Registered
187 Posts
Barnacle, I got a real chuckle out of the way your sentence gets separated there...

You say that kids trample the area, but what about taking a flat shovel... I thought it would have been a howl if it was to ward off kids and smack the bad ones with the shovel. Then again, I don't have kids. And grew up long enough ago that I never heard of a timeout corner... :p

Just got back from WV with 3 small golden chants and one G. tsugae. Yay rain...?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Jack...that’s what the white ones are? I assumed they were oysters...same thing? Are they edible?
Sorry, I was talking about this picture. On a few edges, you can see where it stained black from either touching it or it rubbed against something. They are edible when young, personally I've never tried them.
2D4198EC-A1DB-4678-8E26-AF03F6451E80.jpeg

·
Registered
587 Posts
Found this under oaks. Having trouble with id. It was lavender in color. The spore print looked brown to me. It was about 3.5 inches in diameter. I cut the bottom of the stem off it is beside it in the first picture. Thank you for any help.
IMG_3565.JPG
IMG_3563.JPG

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey beagle, that could be a blewit (clitocybe nuda), however that is usually a late fall mushroom. I'm not very familiar with them, so maybe read up on the identifying characteristics. Just be careful, as I know there are some cortinarius lookalikes that are toxic.

·
Registered
300 Posts
BEA13165-FF9F-4645-9603-DA8B7404A228.jpeg
8837B0EA-7BA7-47A7-80DF-8EABEE05353F.jpeg
456BA5E3-39B9-42EB-B346-76C711BDCCAA.jpeg

Found a new spot near an old spot, but really all my spots are new I guess. this is only my second chant season. Did a lot better than I thought I would. Not one single worm hole! I couldn’t believe it! I hope this keeps up last year everything I found had worm holes. How did the rest of you guys do? Any trumpets yet?
A6940034-70FE-4399-98F1-36A40E310B29.jpeg

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey Barnacle, nice pics and nice finds. While I live in central OH, I was born in NE PA (Susquehanna, Cty)

That's one really great Red Reishi Tree! (I count 18) Is it still alive? Just this evening I was setting up the 1st stage, alcohol extraction, of my next batch of Red Reishi Extract,

Friday, yesterday, I got my first (small) Chanterelles in Franklin County, OH, which is Central OH.

All is good . . . and then . . . it gets better.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Beatnik, that's what I thought too but like you said all my books say it s a fall mushroom. I wasn't planning on eating it anyway. If I am not 100% sure of id there is no way I will eat any mushroom. Nice chanterelles Barnacle, every one I saw so far is too small to pick. Did you pick any of those that you had posted earlier.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks guys. The reishi tree was broken in half about 30 ft up. Yes I picked a bunch today. Some small stuff that the heat was going dry up. But plenty of good sized stuff. I’m hoping sell them to a store out here that buys my miatake to fund my new archery habit. Turns out I have competition this season though. The buyer told me there’s another forager “hounding”
Them to buy there stuff. Kinda bummed about that. Oh well, turf war it is then... steelernation get your shovel! Just kidding can’t sweat that stuff it’ll take the fun out of the hunt.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Found this under oaks. Having trouble with id. It was lavender in color. The spore print looked brown to me. It was about 3.5 inches in diameter. I cut the bottom of the stem off it is beside it in the first picture. Thank you for any help. View attachment 8820 View attachment 8818
That is a cortinarius. Go back to that spot and look really carefully for black trumpets. I often find those species growing together in southern MI.

41 - 60 of 395 Posts