PA 2018 SUMMER MUSHROOM FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jun 2, 2018.

1. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I found a hillside of dried up squawroot (bears corn), is this an indication of any type of mushrooms that might come up in the same area. IMG_3594.JPG

Barnacle likes this.
  2. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Beagle:

1) I've seen that polypore activity on oaks, but it's nothing edible that I've seen
    2) That polypore looks birch-polypore-ish, but not on oak. Not sure what that is.
    3) I've seen squaw root in lots of places, but never found it to be an indicator of anything particular, and haven't heard of it to be.

Cheers.

Barnacle and beagleboy like this.

3. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

If anything beagle, I have noticed that Indian pipe only grows in areas that harbor bear corn, and chanterelles seem to grow only in areas where Indian pipe and their associated russula species are present. So bear corn leads me to believe it may be a good area, but unless i see Indian pipe as well it is never is a positive looking spot.

4. beagleboy

Thanks for the information steeler and Beatnik. Since this dry spell I haven't found any trumpets or chanterelles. In my area we haven't had any rain since the 4th and very little then.

Barnacle likes this.
  5. beagleboy

We received a rain shower today so I took a long walk with the dog and my grandson today and found this. I think it is a Berkley's polypore because I couldn't get it to stain black when I bruised it. The one thing that has me confused is it has a yellow tint to the pore surface and my books all say that should be white. It was at the base of an old oak stump. IMG_3602.JPG IMG_3603.JPG

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  6. beagleboy

I think I was wrong on the id of the polypore, this morning I found another one that was younger and it did stain black. I also found some oysters.

Attached Files:

Barnacle and Gibz like this.
  7. beagleboy

Reshi were scarce in my area this year. Are those still good trapper.

Barnacle likes this.
  8. PAtrapper37

PAtrapper37 Morel Connoisseur

I believe so...still white on bottom...no bugs

9. steelernation

Road trip!

Nah, we had tons last year, but are you out in the northeast, PA?

PAtrapper37 and Barnacle like this.
  10. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

PA, those are perfect. Going to be up your way this coming weekend, have family that has a place at lake adventure. I'll be hiking/picking at PL on Saturday. Will be interesting to see what the rains will bring! Happy Hunting!

Barnacle and PAtrapper37 like this.
  11. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Beagle your correct they are black staining poly. Happy Hunting!

12. pgh guy

pgh guy Young Morel

Just want to make sure that these are Chanterelles. If so, what is the best way to clean them?
    mush.jpg

13. steelernation

PGH, they are indeed chants. With that much dirt, and if you have a lot, a sink full of water is the best bet. They hold their flavor well, so no real flavor loss in water. Otherwise, a fine, soft mushroom brush, but if you have a lot, then that'll take forever. Best to use both. Good luck!

14. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

A soft bristled tooth brush works pretty good for me just hold them under some running water a scrub them with it and should take care of most of that dirt

15. pgh guy

pgh guy Young Morel

Thanks
    Thanks!

Barnacle likes this.
  16. pgh guy

pgh guy Young Morel

Thanks

Barnacle likes this.
  17. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Tooth brushes are great for cleaning mushrooms as jg said. Look into the SUMMIT 509 made by GUM. They are extremely fine bristled brushes so you won’t bruise your shrooms as bad. We give them out at my office. Also if you give them a quick brush off right when you pick them you’ll save yourself a ton of work and grief later on. I have also used a small spray bottle ( think squirt gun) to knock out debris in nooks and crannies of shrooms like morels. Nice haul btw.

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  18. beagleboy

Found a few more oysters. IMG_3608.JPG

PAtrapper37 and (deleted member) like this.