Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

101 - 120 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Beagle:

1) I've seen that polypore activity on oaks, but it's nothing edible that I've seen
2) That polypore looks birch-polypore-ish, but not on oak. Not sure what that is.
3) I've seen squaw root in lots of places, but never found it to be an indicator of anything particular, and haven't heard of it to be.

Cheers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If anything beagle, I have noticed that Indian pipe only grows in areas that harbor bear corn, and chanterelles seem to grow only in areas where Indian pipe and their associated russula species are present. So bear corn leads me to believe it may be a good area, but unless i see Indian pipe as well it is never is a positive looking spot.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks for the information steeler and Beatnik. Since this dry spell I haven't found any trumpets or chanterelles. In my area we haven't had any rain since the 4th and very little then.

·
Registered
587 Posts
We received a rain shower today so I took a long walk with the dog and my grandson today and found this. I think it is a Berkley's polypore because I couldn't get it to stain black when I bruised it. The one thing that has me confused is it has a yellow tint to the pore surface and my books all say that should be white. It was at the base of an old oak stump.
IMG_3602.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
PA, those are perfect. Going to be up your way this coming weekend, have family that has a place at lake adventure. I'll be hiking/picking at PL on Saturday. Will be interesting to see what the rains will bring! Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
187 Posts
PGH, they are indeed chants. With that much dirt, and if you have a lot, a sink full of water is the best bet. They hold their flavor well, so no real flavor loss in water. Otherwise, a fine, soft mushroom brush, but if you have a lot, then that'll take forever. Best to use both. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
PGH, they are indeed chants. With that much dirt, and if you have a lot, a sink full of water is the best bet. They hold their flavor well, so no real flavor loss in water. Otherwise, a fine, soft mushroom brush, but if you have a lot, then that'll take forever. Best to use both. Good luck!
Thanks
Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just want to make sure that these are Chanterelles. If so, what is the best way to clean them?
View attachment 9354
Tooth brushes are great for cleaning mushrooms as jg said. Look into the SUMMIT 509 made by GUM. They are extremely fine bristled brushes so you won’t bruise your shrooms as bad. We give them out at my office. Also if you give them a quick brush off right when you pick them you’ll save yourself a ton of work and grief later on. I have also used a small spray bottle ( think squirt gun) to knock out debris in nooks and crannies of shrooms like morels. Nice haul btw.

101 - 120 of 395 Posts