Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
So the ones with the long thin hollow leaves is wild garlic? Around here people call them ramps and that's what I grew up understanding. Looks like I'll have to go searching for the real deal.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I know they are a different variety than my other spot but they taste just as good. Just about every plant has 3 leaves. I hope they get just as big as the other ones because I use the leaves more than the bulbs.
Beagleboy - Consider sharing some Ramps recpes with everyone on the latest - Ramps & Nettles' topic under the Mushroom Dinner Pics & Recipes forum. That is under Forums choice on the menue bar at the top.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got seven plastic bags of ramps yesterday, just across into WV from western PA. And they're just getting to size there. I barely touched even a little of that patch. Plenty for now. I think we saw 3 Inky Caps and no other mushrooms, not even polypores.
Hey SN, I'm not far from u at all. Here in the NP of Wv. Im still kinda new. What types of woods are u finding them in so far? Ty!

·
Registered
187 Posts
bushman, I have an old spot that I've always gone to. I never had to hunt for ramps. Morels, on the other hand...

I have found other spots in stream valleys. Are you in Brooke? Ohio? I grew up in Ohio County.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Beagleboy - Consider sharing some Ramps recpes with everyone on the latest - Ramps & Nettles' topic under the Mushroom Dinner Pics & Recipes forum. That is under Forums choice on the menue bar at the top.
sb, I don't really have any particular recipes. I just put them in anything that I would use green onions with. They are good in salads, but some people might think they are a little strong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
bushman, I have an old spot that I've always gone to. I never had to hunt for ramps. Morels, on the other hand...

I have found other spots in stream valleys. Are you in Brooke? Ohio? I grew up in Ohio County.
Brooke. Yes I seem to have to work for whatever I find lol. I imagine things may be alittle slow w the cool week ahead?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Brooke. Yes I seem to have to work for whatever I find lol. I imagine things may be alittle slow w the cool week ahead?
They're up just fine in Ohio County, so you should have them in Brooke, though I don't know where they might be there. Somewhere up Buffalo Creek? I don't know places in Brooke overall, as we never spent any time there. Good luck. Check hillsides and along the creeks with sycamore and some flooding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They're up just fine in Ohio County, so you should have them in Brooke, though I don't know where they might be there. Somewhere up Buffalo Creek? I don't know places in Brooke overall, as we never spent any time there. Good luck. Check hillsides and along the creeks with sycamore and some flooding.
Thanks I will give it a try!

·
Registered
496 Posts
So the ones with the long thin hollow leaves is wild garlic? Around here people call them ramps and that's what I grew up understanding. Looks like I'll have to go searching for the real deal.
Not sure what you mean. Back a while I was invited to turkey hunt on a farm. No turkeys, but I did find something growing that I took for ramps! Stuffed a back pack full of them! They tasted great. Further research online indicated that they were NOT ramps. Turned out to be wild onion. I found some honest to God ramps a couple of years later. One thing I found out. You can pull wild onion bulbs up out of the ground. You CANNOT do that with ramps! The stems will separate from the bulbs before the bulbs will come up out of the ground, no matter how soft it is!

It seems the ramp plant knows how important the bulb is!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts