Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Isn’t it true you can’t harvest sing from most public lands? Because I know where there’s truck loads of it but was told I can’t touch it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Isn’t it true you can’t harvest sing from most public lands? Because I know where there’s truck loads of it but was told I can’t touch it.
you can in Pennsylvania but there's a season for it and your supposed to have a permit. They want people to harvest it sustainably. WildGrown.com has a lot of info on that. They even have list of buyers. I really don't know that much or never found any yet, but have recently been doing some research. A lot of hunting mushrooms and ginseng but not much luck did manage to find a few half free morels though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I do believe the DCNR has info on their website about wise-use foraging. I know that I checked all areas in PA, WV and a little in surrounding states to be sure of what and where I can pick mushrooms. I've never looked for or picked ginseng.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You can only harvest mushrooms and berries on state game lands, not any plants. State forest lands have different reg. and also county and state parks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
you can in Pennsylvania but there's a season for it and your supposed to have a permit. They want people to harvest it sustainably. WildGrown.com has a lot of info on that. They even have list of buyers. I really don't know that much or never found any yet, but have recently been doing some research. A lot of hunting mushrooms and ginseng but not much luck did manage to find a few half free morels though.
There are areas in NY where a buddy and I felt like we were practically wading through it at times. It was insane, it was everywhere. We kept wondering what it was because of the berries, wanting to know what Grouse forage on. That’s how we found out what it was. We both kinda looked at each other with giant eyes. He researched it and said it’s illegal to harvest in the area we were hunting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
0526201555a.jpg 0526201555.jpg
A few weeks ago I went out looking, just to see what I could see. I found a large stand of cinnamon fern, a few dried out birch boletes, and this little gem. Or many of them, rather. Dwarf ginseng. So now I can at least say I've seen it in the wild somewhere. Darn thing was pretty cute, too.

·
Registered
509 Posts
There are areas in NY where a buddy and I felt like we were practically wading through it at times. It was insane, it was everywhere. We kept wondering what it was because of the berries, wanting to know what Grouse forage on. That’s how we found out what it was. We both kinda looked at each other with giant eyes. He researched it and said it’s illegal to harvest in the area we were hunting.
Doesn't that always seem to be the case!?!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts