Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Still no Hens found for me but did find a nice haul of Chicken of the Woods, and i firmly believe i found a bunch of oysters but left them go as i was no 100% sure, They were growing on a log and there was lots of them. They looked like oysters but every one of them had about 2 inch stems and not growing shelved like most oysters do. Not sure what they were. They were like a whitish gray and had gills. I didnt have my phone with me to take any pics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had some luck looking for hens up in the ANF this weekend. Found a new spot driving around because the area I wanted to go had a road closed and couldn't get in. Walked around a grove of large oaks for a while and eventuslly found it all on three trees next to each other plus another one 100 yards down through the woods along the same line.

Found a large patch of coral in some dying ferns past its prime. Also found what I think are aborted entolomas, will make another post with pics to see what you guys here think.

Plant Branch Terrestrial plant Trunk Wood Natural environment Natural material Plant Bedrock Fungus Ingredient Food Produce Wood Vegetable Coral fungus Wood Plant Natural material Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hoping a few people here can help me out on this identification. Can anyone say for sure if this is aborted entoloma in these pics? No look alikes right? Does it usually grow directly out of an oak tree like that? It seemed to be both on the tree and coming out of the ground around the tree. Do you guys think it tastes good or is worth eating? Didn't bring any home but maybe next time.

Plant Fungus Terrestrial plant Ingredient Flowering plant Hand Mushroom Plant Flower Organism Plant Flower Finger Fungus Terrestrial plant Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass Agaricaceae Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Trunk Bedrock Terrestrial plant Twig Grass Wood Fungus

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hoping a few people here can help me out on this identification. Can anyone say for sure if this is aborted entoloma in these pics? No look alikes right? Does it usually grow directly out of an oak tree like that? It seemed to be both on the tree and coming out of the ground around the tree. Do you guys think it tastes good or is worth eating? Didn't bring any home but maybe next time.

View attachment 40790 View attachment 40791 View attachment 40792 View attachment 40795 View attachment 40793 View attachment 40794
@snowbrdr1220 Nice Finds on your unexpected detour! I found my last oysters by Happy Coincidence, taking wrong trail that ended up being the "RIGHT" trail! Planned route had zero edible mush for 5+ miles! I concur, Aborted Entoloma. No look-alikes for the aborted version, that is(unaborted do have look-alikes, mainly other entolomas, including poisonous ones).Yes, they may grow on a tree or also the roots, & leaf litter. They're delicious, gather them up next time out!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks like a bumper crop this year. Checked a few trees today that had in prior years but didn't have the last 2 years, all of them had this year. View attachment 40806 View attachment 40807 View attachment 40808
Whats interesting to me is, anytime i find a hen, i have yet to find one around that tree ever again. 4 years ago i found 10 around 10 different trees, do you think those trees produced any since? LOL not a one. That doesnt count the other trees i have found them around.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the dog on a short walk tonight ending up finding a few hens and 10 oysters. Left a few of the hens to grow a little bit.
I haven't found any oysters that were still prime yet this year. They are one of my favorites, I had a couple that were still edible earlier in the summer.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whats interesting to me is, anytime i find a hen, i have yet to find one around that tree ever again. 4 years ago i found 10 around 10 different trees, do you think those trees produced any since? LOL not a one. That doesnt count the other trees i have found them around.
I had a dead white oak tree that I found some around 6 years in a row. The property owner cut it down this summer and so far there hasn't been any at the stump.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Took the dog for a walk tonight on a different trail than what i took last night. Good thing i did, found 2 really nice hens and they were pretty big on each side of a single tree. Found a couple more oysters, trants, and another hen that was medium sized. Check the ones i left to grow yesterday and they are getting close to the size i like to pick them. Hopefully no one else sees them until then.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey all...its been awhile...I've been out for 5 months hiking the Appalachian Trail...I did find morels on the trail and cooked them up....got to see a boat load of different shrooms...I just got a chance to look for some fall shrooms up camp last weekend near Renovo and it was crazy...just picked a couple hens and left at least 100 lbs. within a 100 square yard area...then picked a ton of stumpies...left about another 10 wheel barrel full...also a couple bears tooth...get out there and good luck...happy trails
Food Ingredient Yellow Cuisine Dish

Plant Wood Air gun Bedrock Gun barrel
Plant Wood Trunk Terrestrial plant Grass
Plant Wood Vegetation Terrestrial plant Bedrock
Hand Plant Finger Wood Natural material

·
Registered
13 Posts

View attachment 40790 View attachment 40791 View attachment 40792 View attachment 40795 View attachment 40793 View attachment 40794
Those are aborted entaloma.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all...its been awhile...I've been out for 5 months hiking the Appalachian Trail...I did find morels on the trail and cooked them up....got to see a boat load of different shrooms...I just got a chance to look for some fall shrooms up camp last weekend near Renovo and it was crazy...just picked a couple hens and left at least 100 lbs. within a 100 square yard area...then picked a ton of stumpies...left about another 10 wheel barrel full...also a couple bears tooth...get out there and good luck...happy trails
View attachment 40847
View attachment 40848 View attachment 40849 View attachment 40850 View attachment 40851
Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Fungus Agaricaceae

1 - 20 of 34 Posts