Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Lawrence Co, on the map! Found about two pounds today around a half keeled over apple tree with half its root ball still in the soil. So, it was still alive, but feeling distressed! This will affect the mycelium that grows near it. Found about two pounds in an area about 12'x12' right around this tree. Nothing anywhere else. it still seems early here, but who knows how much longer that might last! We're getting into the "chancy part of the season!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Road surface Wood Natural material Asphalt Plant

Lawrence Co, on the map! Found about two pounds today around a half keeled over apple tree with half its root ball still in the soil. So, it was still alive, but feeling distressed! This will affect the mycelium that grows near it. Found about two pounds in an area about 12'x12' right around this tree. Nothing anywhere else. it still seems early here, but who knows how much longer that might last! We're getting into the "chancy part of the season!
Found these yesterday in a new spot I checked out. I'm from lawrence county as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In Lawrence county it seems like I'm finding mostly small ones that were stunted because of the cold. Seasons past I'd start finding morels last week of april. We're about a week behind in Lawrence county pa it seems. Still finding ok numbers not like last year though. This pic is from last year. Left as many rotted on the ground
Food Outdoor grill rack & topper Charcoal Ingredient Wood

·
Registered
68 Posts
View attachment 42697
View attachment 42698
View attachment 42696

Only found 6 today. Just 2 grays in my normal spot. That means I've only got 11 from there so far this year. I think that patch might be drying up. So I decided to try my luck in a new area, under tulip poplar and sycamore. And I found 4 more... These look like yellows. Yup until now I felt like the trees were plotting against me bc I've never seen a single mushroom under either, for years. Just elm and apple. I've even found mushrooms under those nasty barberry bushes. But today, I am a believer.

But that last week of random cold I think had really stunted the early mushrooms. Has anyone else noticed a drastic decrease of the early mushrooms?
I felt the same way never find any under sycamore and poplar. I'm in Lawrence county pa. We're the sycamore trees dying or stressed? I tried hunting these trees last year but had no luck. Sycamore tend to grow along rivers. In my area it's usually to wet. I see stinkweed by sycamore alot. I'm intrigued I'd love to hunt sycamore successfully because they out number giant elms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unfortunately, I can sum up the season so far with a single... meh :)

Still always nice to get out and find a few. I love the slow progression temp-wise, but definitely not an ideal progression overall in terms of favorable mushroom conditions. But they can't all be winners now, can they?

Here's to hoping for a season extension, but I've been doing this long enough now to know not to hold my breath esp. with this deluge and all types and varieties already out there together for several days :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
View attachment 42959

Found these yesterday in a new spot I checked out. I'm from lawrence county as well.
Nice mess. Still seems early here.

In Lawrence county it seems like I'm finding mostly small ones that were stunted because of the cold. Seasons past I'd start finding morels last week of april. We're about a week behind in Lawrence county pa it seems. Still finding ok numbers not like last year though. This pic is from last year. Left as many rotted on the ground
View attachment 42960
Last year I really screwed up and got out too late. Did find some usable morels, but also a bunch of crispy critters, that suggest to me that there were several flushes. The morels I found last Thursday were all around an apple tree that grows on an edge that gets direct sunlight. The soil was warmer there (54.5*), than around another apple tree further in (51.1*). I found nothing there other than verpa.

I felt the same way never find any under sycamore and poplar. I'm in Lawrence county pa. We're the sycamore trees dying or stressed? I tried hunting these trees last year but had no luck. Sycamore tend to grow along rivers. In my area it's usually to wet. I see stinkweed by sycamore alot. I'm intrigued I'd love to hunt sycamore successfully because they out number giant elms.
There's one spot I know of where I find morels around a big sycamore. There are apple trees in the area, but the morels were all around the sycamore. And, like you said, they normally grow in rich bottomland. This one is growing on a hillside that is probably mostly made up limestone strip mine till! I have no idea why it is there! And it seems to be perfectly healthy, but then how would I know otherwise? I hunt my sportsman's club, 2,200 acres, and we must have at least a thousand dead elms on the property. In my opinion, they have been far too long dead to be productive anymore. I've only found morels under one elm. It's bark was just beginning to slip.

My first year of morel hunting, I thought I'd be picking in tall clover because I had heard and read about the elm/morel connection. I beat my way through the most God-awful thickets to get to these dead elms and found nothing! I came out of my first morel season looking like I had fought a couple of wildcats in a closet! One of the other members who had advised me that morels grew on the property asked me how it had gone. I told that I had found nothing around the dead elms. He asked me if I had checked the apple trees! When I said no, he said, Aw dude! You gotta check the apples trees. We have hundreds of them scattered all over the grounds.

But then I found that sycamore, and have also found them near eastern cottonwood.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found 25 in Montour county on Thursday. This is only my second time finding more than 1 or 2 in a season. Last year I found a dozen around a large slippery elm. This year I found them all around 3 mostly dead apple trees. Found 21 around the middle tree, and then 2 around apple trees on each side of it about 20 yards away. Ironically I think these morels taste sweeter than the ones I found around the Elm last year which were really earthy tasting.

Just curious; has anyone else ever noticed morels tasting sweeter when found under apple trees vs other trees like elms?

Organism Cuisine Ingredient Dish Rock

Here is the tree I found most of them around:
Plant Sky Tree Terrestrial plant Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Tree Vegetation

False morel Mushroom Terrestrial plant Plant Stinkhorn mushroom
Flower Plant Plant community Natural environment Botany

This is one of the other apple trees next to it, both of these side trees had more bark on them than the big producer had:

Plant Plant community Natural environment Branch Terrestrial plant
Plant Flowering plant Annual plant Groundcover Grapevine family

I'm hoping this spot will be good for years, as it's on a private farm and there are a few other apple trees in similar condition around, and then about 50 yards away from the trees where I found these sits this large dead Elm tree right next to a dead apple tree. The bark hasn't even started to slip around the Elm yet but the branches are all dead. Surprised I didn't find any around either of these two trees but feel like I might another year in the future.

Plant Sky Natural landscape Wood Twig

Good luck hunting everyone!. I bet this coming week will be good after the recent rains. I'm excited to go out and check my spot from last year this week and try to find another new one. A week and a half ago I checked it and there was nothing, but the vegetation looked at least a week behind how mature it was last year too.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts