Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post up your bolete pics in this thread. Boletes are a large mushroom group and need there own thread for study. Try to figure out what type you have before posting. Not looking for "I went for a hike today and found these what are they".. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My uncle was out on his quad yesterday and brought back a leccinum mushroom. We call them red tops local.. Not in the bolete family anymore, they have them in Boletaceae group. I was kind of surprised by his find, I don't really start finding them until mid July. We target the red tops in and around grey birch tree's. I don't have a picture, but will get out this week to see if I could find some to photo. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been picking the red toppers since I was 2 to 3 years old with my grandfather and my father that's over 60+ years. In my area they were I abundance for years and years but now that these stupid warehouse buildings are taking over in the northeast Pa. And the wild land acres are shrinking and being used and sold for that purpose we're lucky if we will have any place to look in the future. These shrooms are the king for the polish mushroom soup I make.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've been picking the red toppers since I was 2 to 3 years old with my grandfather and my father that's over 60+ years. In my area they were I abundance for years and years but now that these stupid warehouse buildings are taking over in the northeast Pa. And the wild land acres are shrinking and being used and sold for that purpose we're lucky if we will have any place to look in the future. These shrooms are the king for the polish mushroom soup I make.
It would be so cool if you could post a recipe. In lieu of fresh boletes (since I do NOT trust my ID's on them), I can get sliced, dried Kings (Boletus edulis) at a local Polish deli. Imported from Poland, actually.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes MJ, You live in redtop alley (AT ONE TIME LONG AGO). I haven't picked them in good numbers for many years. I do find them here and there around grey birch. The grey birch are the first to come up after coal mining and seem to die off after 10 years. Not as much coal mining (BREAKING FRESH GROUND) around my area as years past. So local... coal is NO LONGER KING and has took the redtop's with it! Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice boletes!

WHY can't ANY website or email stay the same? WHY must everything be screwed around with? Programmers...
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I sense frustration. This site is for all GOOD. The new site will still take time to massage into a great forum. Please ask @wade, @mmh @Cricket or others on what you wish would liked changed. Keep it positive. Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Change for change's sake is pretty pointless. The only problem I could see that we had with the last version was the occasional spammers. I just went through the same thing with eBird, where they completely changed the individual data/interface section to hide all of the data that used to naturally be shown when you went to the site. The only answer I got on that when prompted for an opinion on the revamp was the boilerplate "change is good" and "some people really wanted the new look". Now I can't quickly and easily compare my data numbers; I have to navigate to page after page to get what I had in one place. Morels.com isn't so complicated. Is this an issue where the webpage company was revamping and forced a new look/template? I know that happened twice with my business website.

But whatever...this isn't a major soapbox that I need to climb up on...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I found some bitter violet boletes tylopilus violatinctus not good for eating but cool looking mushrooms. upposably useful for cocktails bitters but I can't partake right now taking antibiotics. Also found lots of chants none bigger than quarter size caps. Gotta do a rain dance. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nice boletes!

WHY can't ANY website or email stay the same? WHY must everything be screwed around with? Programmers...
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I sense frustration. This site is for all GOOD. The new site will still take time to massage into a great forum. Please ask @wade, @mmh @Cricket or others on what you wish would liked changed. Keep it positive. Thanks
As I told the mods and admins on the thread announcing the new format, the biggest thing I'll miss is the quick navigation. Now we have to use the "to the top" button and then click on "morel country" to navigate to another state's site! A time waster.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts