Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quite possibly. Do a spore print to be sure, and remember that they need to be cooked a while before eating. Stewing works really well with herbs. A lot of times in clumps like that, they spore onto each other. White spores.
Spore print is white. They seem to check every box for honeys but I'm still not that confident in trying them. It seems like no honey ever looks alike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Spore print is white. They seem to check every box for honeys but I'm still not that confident in trying them. It seems like no honey ever looks alike.
according to michael kuo, if it checks 3 boxes- growing in clusters on wood, attached/slightly decurrent gills, and white spores- it eliminates all poisonous lookalikes except jack o'lanterns, which aren't much of a lookalike really. there are other mushrooms that fit those boxes but are much smaller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They look exactly like the honeys I ate for lunch yesterday. Just be careful about checking every shroom. My batch was growing next to a bunch of deadly gallerina.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks guys. Went back to get some but they are all fuzzy and old.

Did find a few shaggy manes. Cooked them up with dinner tonight. I decided to add garlic to the butter this time and really regretted it. Garlic does not compliment those mushroom at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm having a decent year for Hens. Not great but certainly better than last year. The odd thing is that the usually reliable trees are not producing at all. I'm finding Hens more by happenstance.
IMG_20201018_155354167.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
What's the rain situation been like there? Dry as a bone here until yesterday. I'm hoping that maybe some will sprout because of it!
Some light rain but its mostly dry. I don't think wood growing mushrooms are as dependent on rain as are ground growing mushrooms. I can walk through the woods and see nothing growing on the ground but see all sorts of LBMs on deadfalls.

·
Registered
194 Posts
They're young Chickens. Pick 'em NOW! They are perfect. When they plate out like many I see for sale online, they are too old to get a ton of use out of, plus they're harder to digest and are much less flavorful and juicy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks guys! I picked them this morning. It was nestled in a nook in the tree which was almost impossible to cut. Plus the tree is erect yet dead and consumed with wasps.
Sadly most of it was too woody, I was able to cut the fleshy tips and at least got 2 jars pickled. I'm saving a few fibrous pieces for stock and the rest I'll try to redistribute around the area I found it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Screenshot_20201021-144457.png
this was from a while ago but nonetheless chickens that look like spray styrofoam!! I didn't pick because wasn't sure.... And once I found out I went back and someone already cut them.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts