Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can chickens just stop developing? I've been driving by a tree that has an orange mass that looks like young chickens. However, I first saw it over a month ago and it still looks the same, never plated out. It's way out of reach so I didn't try to harvest. I've harvested plenty of chickens over the years and agree they are best when very young, especially for pickling.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'm not exactly the person to ask but I think you may be right because I actually have a locust tree by my house that has one that is probably about a size of a golf ball and it just stopped and it's still there now and it's been there like you said probably about a month.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can chickens just stop developing? I've been driving by a tree that has an orange mass that looks like young chickens. However, I first saw it over a month ago and it still looks the same, never plated out. It's way out of reach so I didn't try to harvest. I've harvested plenty of chickens over the years and agree they are best when very young, especially for pickling.
That's what confused me. They didn't exactly stop developing but it was an extremely slow growth rate compared to others I have observed.

As you can see, this is 5 days apart.

They were slightly more plated today when I harvested but still seemed too old. Only the tips were fleshy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If I remember right I researched or read somewhere that it is a slightly different type of chicken and the growth rate is slower. I could just be totally making that up haha, but I honestly think I did read that somewhere.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If I remember right I researched or read somewhere that it is a slightly different type of chicken and the growth rate is slower. I could just be totally making that up haha, but I honestly think I did read that somewhere.
Could well be. Just this year we saw chickens emerging from a known stump; I went back three days later and they were perfect for harvest. Then we saw some emerging from a tree known to us to have chickens but we wrote it off due to a trip the following day. Checked it out when we returned 7 days later and they were perfect for harvest. Could be due to RH, clouds vs sun or any other factor. Who knows, certainly not I.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I supposed that there are more species of Laetiporous than sulfureus or cincinnatus, which are the two that I've found. Also, Even members of the same species might not look exactly alike.

·
Registered
352 Posts
From what i have read there are 3 types of chicken of the woods lataporus cincinnatus, lataporis sulfurous, and the other im not sure of the latin name but from what ive read it grows in the western part of the United States and isnt considered to be eddible because of the trees it grows on.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have found a fair amount of chicken, but would sooner have hens. After the rain we are supposed to get tomorrow and Friday the oysters should be flushing in my area.

·
Registered
598 Posts
We finally received a nice soaking rain today. Over 1.5 inches going to take a long hike with the 22 tomorrow and see what i can find.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Has anyone found honey mushrooms. SWPA has seemingly been bereft of any kinds of mushrooms all fall, as has the NE corner of WV.
steeler, I have an area that has them every fall. I was only there once this year and it might have been too early. I may check it this weekend.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
steeler, I have an area that has them every fall. I was only there once this year and it might have been too early. I may check it this weekend.
Do you think there's any chance of hens popping up sure to this rain?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know that people used to find them in November in years past, but I wonder that the dry times won't reset the shrooms for another year. Beagle, I usually am picking tons of honeys in early-to-mid October, and one hen location used to start producing at the very end of August. Not so this year, or last.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Has anyone found honey mushrooms. SWPA has seemingly been bereft of any kinds of mushrooms all fall, as has the NE corner of WV.
Yes, but that was quite a few weeks ago here in NE Ohio. We had a rain event of nearly 5"! Went out looking a couple of days later and honeys were just everywhere! But, it was still warm then. I don't know if it's gotten too cold for them to flush, but you might as well take a look.

Cruised past a place where I find pinkies in a city park. It's an easy scout since you can see them from the road. If they're up, I just drive around the block, park, and harvest! Got a few nice ones today in prime shape. As someone else mentioned, it's supposed to get really cold tonight, so I wanted to get these before then. After more rain on Sunday, it's supposed to get nice again next week if the weather guessers are right! I'll go out and look again.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Checked an area that I usually get oysters today. One tree had quite a few but most were too high up. I tried throwing a string over them but just couldn't get it to land right. There were some lower and I took them, made enough for a meal. Wish everybody luck during hunting season this year.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts