Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hey steelernation - That's a s--tload of what I call Red Reishi over in OH. I get mine mostly in SE OH which would be the same latitude as South PA border. If you've got a good picture -- post it.

For me that is good news and tells me I better be planning a trip into the steep gorges and ravines of Reishi country-SE Ohio.

Ever since I ran out of Hemlock Varnish Shelf for my medicinal extract and had to buy on the internet, because OH was not favorable that year, I decided that I wanted to keep a year's dried backup on hand, for the extract.

As I'm now getting low, I was hoping that this would be another good year! From your report, it sound like it is.

Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It was a reasonable load. I've gotten more, but I've not got enough energy to haul out 50# easily, so I stopped. In 2013, we picked 400+ pounds in two weeks. 2017 was very good, but 2018 and 2019 were dead, maybe 10# total. My theory, based on the last 11 years of picking them, is that the pattern is "good-great-bad-bad, good-great-bad-bad".

·
Registered
572 Posts
steelernation - I appreciate your observations - good-great-bad-bad - drawn over many years.

This week, I am going down to SE Ohio, which is the same latitude as the S border of PA, where you had your recent Reishi harvest success.

I believe long term productivity is a result of willingness to put in the time consistently; recognizing that there will be times of nothing found and times of great abundance. How that is averaged out or not is up to each individual.

For me, I've seen it in in my own experience, as you have, and have shared. I view each outing into the woods as a success - before I even start and regardless of what I find or don't find or harvest.

Good Hunting to all.

·
Registered
187 Posts
sb - sure, it's good to be in the woods. My two main spots regionally are 1 hour and 2 hours away, so a nice visit to the woods is tempered with missing 1/2 or a full day of work :p

We picked a judicious 102# today, getting out of Dodge before the storms hit. Someone in both of my spots beat us to them, but both times the areas held a lot more and the "public" logs were not picked dry. The wife will be busy for many nights with drying them...and then it'll be time for chants and hopefully trumpets and berries and crabapples and...

·
Registered
42 Posts
sb - sure, it's good to be in the woods. My two main spots regionally are 1 hour and 2 hours away, so a nice visit to the woods is tempered with missing 1/2 or a full day of work :p

We picked a judicious 102# today, getting out of Dodge before the storms hit. Someone in both of my spots beat us to them, but both times the areas held a lot more and the "public" logs were not picked dry. The wife will be busy for many nights with drying them...and then it'll be time for chants and hopefully trumpets and berries and crabapples and...
Wow! You must really love those mushrooms. I harvested a few can't wait to try a tincture.

·
Registered
187 Posts
We drink the tea every day. When sick, we drink it more. The tincture is very effective, even better as brandy with honey, but you can't really drink it daily, or at least in a larger dose. Tea and tincture make a very good combination.

·
Registered
187 Posts
We're drinking the fresh tea right now since it is there. Fresh is quite strong for the 'untrained' palate, more wild and alive. We've always used dried for the medicine brandy or for the topical vodka (using cheap vodka to make a medicine to rub on aches, bruises, arthritic joints, etc.). It doesn't take much for tea or for tincture, so you are good to go ahead and try what you have already.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We're drinking the fresh tea right now since it is there. Fresh is quite strong for the 'untrained' palate, more wild and alive. We've always used dried for the medicine brandy or for the topical vodka (using cheap vodka to make a medicine to rub on aches, bruises, arthritic joints, etc.). It doesn't take much for tea or for tincture, so you are good to go ahead and try what you have already.
I tried about 4 oz cup last night and damn did I sleep good. Maybe next time I'll dilute it a little more. Lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
I want to thank everyone here one this website for all the wonderful information. Very inspiring! I used to just stick with morels cause they were easy to recognize but really never found a lot. Now because of this site I got motivated to get myself a mushroom field guide and a tree identification book and haven't bought any mushrooms from the grocery store since. Now I'm learning about amazing health benefits. Plus on top of all that I've been in the woods a lot more. Good spot for social distancing. I just love to get out there even if I don't find anything, breathing that fresh air and having time to think and slow down has been very helpful for my mental and physical health. Especially in the midst of this pandemic.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Stellernation - thanks again for your earlier post that the Reishi were going gangbusters along the S PA border!!

I did get out to the Hemlock, Reishi gorges and hills of SE Ohio yesterday. That's the same latitude of the Southern PA border.

This is what I brought home.

There were so many, that I only hit 1 of my 3 spots. I picked only the ones that weren't eaten by bugs yet. That was about 70%.

DSC01498.JPG

I looked up what these big beetles were named and it's "Pleasing Fungus Beetle". They had no fear of a person and I watched them munch holes for a few minutes from just 20"

DSC01461.JPG

Here's my assembly line from yesterday afternoon, below. It took two full loads of 9 trays in the Excalibur and I also fired up my round stack-tray cheapie dehydrator too for 5 more trays.

The way I do it is to wait till I'm ready to do my alcohol soak stage of the two stage extract I make, to do a diagonal cross cut of these bacon slice pieces into matchstick size pieces. I tried chopping with a blender once. I'm good with this procedure. (My wife said I needed a meat slicer.) You will see I have 3 knives -- sharp knives, sharpened just before beginning.

DSC01500.JPG

The woods were absolutely magnificient!! Having gotten a homerun hit on the first swing I have to find a good excuse or reason to do some more trips back into the same niche.

DSC01480.JPG

Well, there will soon be Chanterelles.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts