Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Spent a few hours in the woods this morning and am wondering how late of a chanterelle season we'll have in W PA. Indicator species that I usually find with chants and black trumpets are jelly babies and false coral, and neither were to be seen anywhere today. Tons of birds and butterflies, but almost no shrooms of any kind. Usually, I'm picking a few pounds at least by this date, and there wasn't a hint of anything.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Stellernation - thanks again for your earlier post that the Reishi were going gangbusters along the S PA border!!

I did get out to the Hemlock, Reishi gorges and hills of SE Ohio yesterday. That's the same latitude of the Southern PA border.

This is what I brought home.

There were so many, that I only hit 1 of my 3 spots. I picked only the ones that weren't eaten by bugs yet. That was about 70%.

View attachment 35620

I looked up what these big beetles were named and it's "Pleasing Fungus Beetle". They had no fear of a person and I watched them munch holes for a few minutes from just 20"

View attachment 35622

Here's my assembly line from yesterday afternoon, below. It took two full loads of 9 trays in the Excalibur and I also fired up my round stack-tray cheapie dehydrator too for 5 more trays.

The way I do it is to wait till I'm ready to do my alcohol soak stage of the two stage extract I make, to do a diagonal cross cut of these bacon slice pieces into matchstick size pieces. I tried chopping with a blender once. I'm good with this procedure. (My wife said I needed a meat slicer.) You will see I have 3 knives -- sharp knives, sharpened just before beginning.

View attachment 35626

The woods were absolutely magnificient!! Having gotten a homerun hit on the first swing I have to find a good excuse or reason to do some more trips back into the same niche.

View attachment 35628

Well, there will soon be Chanterelles.
sb, I slice mine the same way, then before we store it in jars my wife cuts it in half inch pieces with a sharp pair of heavy scissors. You can pack a lot in a jar that way.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hmm...okay. My wife reuses old gallon Ziploc bags. Our mega-collection of jars is always way too busy to house reishi. I'd think you could store a lot that way, but the amounts we have would take dozens and dozens of gallon jars. We keep them in paper cartons. Lots and lots of paper cartons.

Funny you mention 3-4 years, as we're still using plenty that I picked in 2017, but that was the last time I really had any before this year. There is more to be had out there, but we have so much. It's a shame to not have someone use it, but we can never get any of our American friends to drink it, and some of our Chinese friends treasure it and don't want to use it...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just finished drying mine tonight. SquirrelKing hooked me up with his harvest (It's nice, mushrooms showing up at your door step). Got 1 1/2 gallons worth, I'm a glass kind of guy, a real glass act. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
29 Posts
83817445-D813-45B4-A28B-00E3222F0613.jpeg
Anybody know what this is? Growing on the side of a downed log log is red looking as it’s decomposing. This felt like a pancake, yellow on top and whitish barley visible pores on bottom. Theirs a bunch of them but their not in clusters inside is pure white solid flesh.
56F7A86C-B6E3-4924-BACF-114F84FD963D.jpeg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Spent a few hours in the woods this morning and am wondering how late of a chanterelle season we'll have in W PA. Indicator species that I usually find with chants and black trumpets are jelly babies and false coral, and neither were to be seen anywhere today. Tons of birds and butterflies, but almost no shrooms of any kind. Usually, I'm picking a few pounds at least by this date, and there wasn't a hint of anything.
i found some false corral and a few tiny chants today in northern cumberland county

·
Registered
586 Posts
Fluke, my best spots are oak and beech mixed but i think oak is key. In 2018 in my area we had a lot of moisture all summer and you could find chanterelles in just about any oak woods but last year just my better spots produced for me. I usually find find a few in mid july in my area but my best time is usually august into sept. Also look for oak trees with a little grass, I think the sunlight hitting the forest floor helps but not really a requirement. The thing in my area is beating the bugs to them.:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Fluke, find them right now or prepare to probably wait. This super-dry heat wave will wreck the season, most likely, unless the groundwater is percolating pretty high. Probably not, though, as June was pretty dry too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok awesome guys thanks for the info. Anyone recognize that mushroom I posted first glance you think chicken of the woods but it’s not. I can’t find anything that looks like it online. Anyway thanks again

·
Registered
29 Posts
7BCD4EBE-6BE3-4121-BEC5-E9A40A88F15A.jpeg
7E87C531-1812-47B4-A685-28CC1488D814.jpeg
D1CDE022-A5E9-4F6B-95CB-00AC948ACCCA.jpeg
84499D38-0DF8-46FB-8B66-41AE58E9E771.jpeg
7E87C531-1812-47B4-A685-28CC1488D814.jpeg
D1CDE022-A5E9-4F6B-95CB-00AC948ACCCA.jpeg
84499D38-0DF8-46FB-8B66-41AE58E9E771.jpeg
I don’t think that’s what it is. Thanks though I’ll post a picture of a tree from winter that I think is birch polypore and a few more pictures of this unknown on a log. This is in Lebanon county rocky area near mountain top.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts