Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Finally found a few Chants today. The rain did the trick. Little pins everywhere! Found about 8 to 10 usable ones in a very short look. I think everything I found today were smooth Chants since there is no hint of a false gill on any of them. More rain predicted for tomorrow, so I will be out again Friday.

Everything I found today was close to the ridge top. There's a draw that runs down the ridge that is usually more moist than near the top. That's where I intend to go.

·
Registered
587 Posts
In the last 2 weeks, my area hasn't had enough rain to make my driveway wet . It's like walking on rice crispies when walking in the grass in my yard. They say hot dry weather destroys ticks so i should see less next year. No sign of chanterelles or trumpets yet.

·
Registered
509 Posts
We were supposed to get rain yesterday, and we did. Except not in the amount forecast! We had a brief, heavy 10 minute shower, and about 10 minutes of sprinkles after. But, it's water! And thank God for it! Because we need it!

I went back to my hardwood ridge today. What I had previously found the last time, other than the usable ones near the top, were still nothing like small fry! I figured there might be more Chants lower down the ridge. I hit a spot that gave me some nice ones.

My "honey hole" still hasn't produced, but I think I'm early this year. Of all the Chants I've gathered this year, very few have any holes from bugs in the stems! I like that!

·
Registered
56 Posts
When for a walk yesterday in the DWGNRA. We found a few Chantarelles and Bi-color boletes but nothing else. Black Trumpet should be flushing well but there is no sign of them. Some of the rhododendron are still in bloom! They should have been done a month ago. We picked some ghost/indian pipe for a tincture but they are just starting to emerge, they are usually in great abundence at this time. This is a strange summer mushroom season.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well, I had a pretty nice day today, Chants and Chickens! I knew the Chants were growing on that ridge, but I found a brand new chicken log! These are precious! Only problem is that the log is visible from the road running along the ridge. Hope other pickers aren't looking to close!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well, I had a pretty nice day today, Chants and Chickens! I knew the Chants were growing on that ridge, but I found a brand new chicken log! These are precious! Only problem is that the log is visible from the road running along the ridge. Hope other pickers aren't looking too close!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anybody finding anything? Pittsburgh area had a few areas of decent rain yesterday and some the day before. Maybe I'll head out tomorrow morning to see if any chants came up. 🤞

61 - 72 of 72 Posts