Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had an unusual find last weekend in SE PA. Yellow Oysters, a nice flush. Obviously not native, but tasted great. I see a bunch of reishi mushrooms gathered here. You should try harvesting the white rim on those in the spring. they are absolutely delicious.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Last Friday, we got 2"+ of rainfall, and a little more on Saturday. Went out Tuesday to my Chant ridge and nada! Only thing I found was one old, soggy, rotten specimen. Also, no new chickens on the chicken log. So I figure these are done for the year. There were honeys growing around a bunch of different oaks up on the flat by the ball field. Man! They were everywhere! I'll go have one more look either tomorrow or Saturday, also keeping an eye open for trumpets.

As I remarked in another post that had pictures of trumpets, I have never seen a pic of trumpets in-situ where there was NOT moss present. I can find absolutely no moss on my Chant ridge. It's actually the upper part of a creek valley cutbank, that is bisected, horizontally, by a park road. I hunt above the road. The part below the road is far too steep to hunt!

·
Registered
191 Posts
To all the honey mushroom enthusiasts, be VERY careful. What is coming up now, in my experience, are not honey mushrooms. I've never seen them personally before October, maybe the last days of September. Usually when abortive entolomas come out, I see honeys. They tend to like crisp fall days and nights before they really get going.

If someone else has had different experiences in years past, let me/us know. What is out there now, and I've seen plenty of them too, aren't honeys, and I can't remember the species type.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Right on Steeler. I'm seeing Scaly Pholiota, mostly on birch, which could be mistaken for honey mushrooms. They flush July - October and are regarded as poisonous.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are these all edible? Couple different ones. Up the laural ridge for the weekend. Mushrooms everywhere! Unfortunately I don't know many of them. Boletes are up in places but afraid.
KIMG3388.JPG

·
Registered
191 Posts
Gem-studded Puffballs. Good eating!

Those corals resemble False Coral, but broken up like that, it's hard to say. Not an edible, I don't think.

Boletes shouldn't be scary. Only a few in the east will make you sick. Then there are a handful of bitter ones. Lots of good eating ones.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wow! Close to 5" of rain here today! Then, right back to the heat! 88 tomorrow and 90 on Wednesday! Might be the last shot at Chants. I'll get out and have a look. All this rain might also bring up an early flush of meadows. Found them in a really wet Spring one time. Also need to go have a look at my hen trees.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey guys, found a nice chicken of the woods yesterday. My question is the log was so rotted that I couldn't tell what kind of wood it was.I know I've read that you should not eat them off of any evergreens, there were none in the area, are there any worries of eating this since I could not positively identify the wood?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys, found a nice chicken of the woods yesterday. My question is the log was so rotted that I couldn't tell what kind of wood it was.I know I've read that you should not eat them off of any evergreens, there were none in the area, are there any worries of eating this since I could not positively identify the wood?
not likely. best would be just to cook and eat a small amount to make sure you have no adverse reaction.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey guys, found a nice chicken of the woods yesterday. My question is the log was so rotted that I couldn't tell what kind of wood it was.I know I've read that you should not eat them off of any evergreens, there were none in the area, are there any worries of eating this since I could not positively identify the wood? View attachment 36636
Good suggestion above. Also, next time you're near that log, look for any where that branches may have come out of it. Evergreen branches come out in whorls, hardwoods do not.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts