Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in the Peoria area found anything yet ? with all this rain they should be about ready to pop...with a little sun !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you have any luck Hudson?? im going out monday....guy i work with found a dozen small gre
ys on saturday in Washington area !

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went out Saturday just North of Peoria. Didn't find anything. Next week is going to be in the 60's and I think that will be the start for the area here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
found a few tiny tiny ones, gray. cant figure out the photo upload on here lol. I think the flood will be of benefit once the water goes down and the temps rise...they seem to be taking their time lol!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went out today to my early spot..looks as though we are still about a week or so away...The may apples are tiny and no where near opening up yet...about 3 inches high if that !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya Shroomit ive been hunting them for 48 years and never once found a black around this area.....The may aplles i saw yesterday in Washington were 2 maybe 3 inches tall all constricted not eve close to opening up yet....i was surprised to see your picture's of them opening....a few miles away sometime makes a difference i guess !

·
Registered
63 Posts
<blockquote>Ya Shroomit ive been hunting them for 48 years and never once found a black around this area…..The may aplles i saw yesterday in Washington were 2 maybe 3 inches tall all constricted not eve close to opening up yet….i was surprised to see your picture’s of them opening….a few miles away sometime makes a difference i guess !</blockquote>

They were near the edge of the timber so could get more sunlight.

I'm not saying I don't believe black shrooms around here... but I don't believe they grow here :-D

I've consistently heard black morels grow just south of Springfield.

First and only I've ever found were in S IL, Johnson Cty. Thought they were burnt up shrooms to start, then quickly smiled upon losing my black morel virginity :mrgreen:

·
Registered
17 Posts
would luv to take 1 or both of you guys with me. find them every year, that is when i know it is game on! same place every year since 89..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello fellow foragers,
If you are looking for black morels, you need to hunt in areas where a controlled burn has been. If the property owners had burned in the last year, maybe two, you'll likely find blacks. Its been my experience. I found some two years ago west of Peoria.
I agree with you all- maybe some early greys and foxgloves out there, but the coming weeks should prove bountiful-
Happy Hunting-
TK

1 - 20 of 207 Posts