1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Peoria area !

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by olelucky, Apr 21, 2013.

1. olelucky

olelucky Morel Enthusiast

Has anyone in the Peoria area found anything yet ? with all this rain they should be about ready to pop...with a little sun !

2. hudson27

hudson27 Morel Enthusiast

not yet! going out in the moring tho!

3. olelucky

did you have any luck Hudson?? im going out monday....guy i work with found a dozen small gre
    ys on saturday in Washington area !

4. landolincoln

landolincoln Morel Enthusiast

I went out Saturday just North of Peoria. Didn't find anything. Next week is going to be in the 60's and I think that will be the start for the area here.

5. hudson27

found a few tiny tiny ones, gray. cant figure out the photo upload on here lol. I think the flood will be of benefit once the water goes down and the temps rise...they seem to be taking their time lol!

6. olelucky

Went out today to my early spot..looks as though we are still about a week or so away...The may apples are tiny and no where near opening up yet...about 3 inches high if that !

7. olelucky

Hey there Hudson im by Peoria if you wanna go out later in the week?

8. hudson27

Yeah id love to go out! Txt me...815-871-0701

9. olelucky

Ok i will do that Hudson....probabaly another week for our area !

10. rdbrds

rdbrds Morel Enthusiast

went out in the washington area yesterday where i always find early blacks. got skunked.looks good for the weekend!

11. shroomit

shroomit Morel Connoisseur

Nice, never ever found a black shroom around Peoria area

12. olelucky

Ya Shroomit ive been hunting them for 48 years and never once found a black around this area.....The may aplles i saw yesterday in Washington were 2 maybe 3 inches tall all constricted not eve close to opening up yet....i was surprised to see your picture's of them opening....a few miles away sometime makes a difference i guess !

13. shroomit

<blockquote>Ya Shroomit ive been hunting them for 48 years and never once found a black around this area…..The may aplles i saw yesterday in Washington were 2 maybe 3 inches tall all constricted not eve close to opening up yet….i was surprised to see your picture’s of them opening….a few miles away sometime makes a difference i guess !</blockquote>

They were near the edge of the timber so could get more sunlight.

I'm not saying I don't believe black shrooms around here... but I don't believe they grow here :-D

I've consistently heard black morels grow just south of Springfield.

First and only I've ever found were in S IL, Johnson Cty. Thought they were burnt up shrooms to start, then quickly smiled upon losing my black morel virginity :mrgreen:

14. rdbrds

rdbrds Morel Enthusiast

would luv to take 1 or both of you guys with me. find them every year, that is when i know it is game on! same place every year since 89..

15. burny2013

burny2013 Young Morel

I found a large patch of blacks a few yrs back in peoria county. None since though.

16. shroomit

Well shroomage will be here before we know it, hope my foot heals ASAP !!!

17. tkintel80

tkintel80 Young Morel

Hello fellow foragers,
    If you are looking for black morels, you need to hunt in areas where a controlled burn has been. If the property owners had burned in the last year, maybe two, you'll likely find blacks. Its been my experience. I found some two years ago west of Peoria.
    I agree with you all- maybe some early greys and foxgloves out there, but the coming weeks should prove bountiful-
    Happy Hunting-
    TK

18. shroomit

We did a controlled burn on my buddies place 3 years ago in a good shroom spot, never seen a black as a result

19. tkintel80

tkintel80 Young Morel

It could have been a coincidence-

20. shroomit

Who knows, shrooms got a mind of their own :cool: