Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up to Lake Almanor yesterday and hunted up and down the forests on the west side. Didn't find one Morel but did find a few Boletes right down near the Lake. The snow plants were coming up all over (as were the people!) By the time I left, campers, hikers, kids & dogs were pouring into the area only to find all the campgrounds closed! Anyway, I drove up and around Mt. Lassen and at my first stop was lucky enough to find 6 nice Morels and one Puffball. They just got snow there 3 days ago! It's a weird year but I'm still keeping a positive attitude for now. Happy Shroomin'...
DSC_0705.jpg
IMG_2663.jpg
Mt Lassen from Lake Almanor.jpg
Sarcodes sanguinea - Snow Plant.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I continue to check the Auburn foothills and Lake Tahoe area and found a few small ones in both areas in the sun; mostly around 5-6K feet. Same story here, it's still cold overnight but the next few warm days/nights should give it a nice boost. Snowflowers abound though. Funny, all the campgrounds were closed but people camped regardless. It was a real madhouse on the roads and trails. I'll wait until everyone descends back to SF and SAC and then I will give it another look. By then we should be in the 10 day window after the last good rain.

·
Super Moderator
1,967 Posts
I went up to Lake Almanor yesterday and hunted up and down the forests on the west side. Didn't find one Morel but did find a few Boletes right down near the Lake. The snow plants were coming up all over (as were the people!) By the time I left, campers, hikers, kids & dogs were pouring into the area only to find all the campgrounds closed! Anyway, I drove up and around Mt. Lassen and at my first stop was lucky enough to find 6 nice Morels and one Puffball. They just got snow there 3 days ago! It's a weird year but I'm still keeping a positive attitude for now. Happy Shroomin'... View attachment 34914 View attachment 34916 View attachment 34918 View attachment 34920
Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow.... 4 Nice Pictures
and Story Naration... @jdaniels313
Those are some Awesome look'n Morels
and I intend to go my first Boletes Hunt and find this year..
I did just find my first ever Chickens today
Our Morels been Done here for about 10 days
Monroe County Indiana
20200524_150019.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hahaha, hi JD, that reminds me of the time I found a handful of boletes in a shallow gully. I got back to the truck and showed my wife, I remember her saying “ they’re so odd looking, they MUST be poison ”. Well there not, just kinda wormy. Caution is a good thing when mushroom hunting.
Nice finds...!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts