1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Poisoning???

Discussion in 'New York' started by joebagodonuts, Oct 2, 2013.

  1. joebagodonuts

    joebagodonuts Morel Enthusiast

    16
    0
    1
    Hey there, Yesterday I was out with the kids and picked up a bunch of pigskin puffballs. Unknowing what they were I came home, soaked and washed them. Now my hands feel like they are on FIRE! I also feel super anxious!!! Any advise???
     
  2. joebagodonuts

    joebagodonuts Morel Enthusiast

    16
    0
    1
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017

  3. fogwhisper

    fogwhisper Morel Connoisseur

    224
    0
    0
    yeah, don't eat them

     
  4. fogwhisper

    fogwhisper Morel Connoisseur

    224
    0
    0
    pigskin puffballs are poisonous
     
  5. fogwhisper

    fogwhisper Morel Connoisseur

    224
    0
    0
    your photo doesn't look like pigskin puffballs to me but I'm no expert
     
  6. pedro

    pedro Morel Connoisseur

    140
    1
    18
    Pigskin puffballs


    http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mushrooms.Folder/Pigskin.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scleroderma_citrinum

    http://returntonature.us/edible-puffballs-in-your-front-lawn/

    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Sclerau.htm

    http://www.mushroomexpert.com/scleroderma_citrinum.html


     
  7. vibrantenergies

    vibrantenergies Morel Connoisseur

    139
    0
    0
    Were you washing and soaking to prepare for eating?!?

    Those don't look like the pigskins I find around here, but cut one and half. If it's purple or blackish, it's probably SOME type of Earthball - and not good to eat!!

    I have never heard of the weird burning symptoms you experienced! How long did it last? The anxiousness could have been due to fear of having poisoned yourself with poison mushroom-water! I hope all is well!
     
  8. joebagodonuts

    joebagodonuts Morel Enthusiast

    16
    0
    1
    What a crazy couple of days! Yes I was preping them but was waiting on some feedback before I did anything. I got feedback from a friend that clued me in that they were poisonous. I had to leave for a meeting so I showered and left asap. My hands started burning about two hours later and I started to feel super jittery! (Like too much coffee). I went to sleep right away Tuesday night and woke up in a PANIC Wednesday morning at 7am! Hands still burning, I decided to call poison control, who informed me that you cannot get mushroom poisoned through skin absorbtion. Well I totally did not agree with that statement so I tried to find anything I could online. Now I could have been psyching myself out, but things were still the same at 4PM! I ended up calling poison control one more time and again was told the same. I tried a little more to calm my mind and get past my thoughts. Went to another meeting, ate and came home. Today I feel fine with the exception of a lot less hand burning and way less anxiousness.
    So?!?!
    What does anyone think?
    And I probably wont be mushrooming anytime soon!
     
  9. vibrantenergies

    vibrantenergies Morel Connoisseur

    139
    0
    0
    HeyJoe. I've been looking for other folks who have experienced similar symptoms to yours, but with no luck! The poison center is correct - it is not possible to be poisoned by mushrooms through skin.

    Did you ever cut any of them in half? It would really help to know what species you even have, it's really next to impossible with just the pic you posted. Also, if you're deterred from shrooming because you broke the cardinal rule of mycophagy, never eat a shroom without 100% positively id'ing it as an edible species, then that decision is more than likely for the best! There are mushrooms that can kill you!! Hot hands are nothing compared to liver and kidney failure. If you had posted that pic of the unknown shrooms BEFORE you prepared them for the kitchen, you would have been told quickly that you were wasting your time!

    BTW, my theory is that you touched a plant that causes contact dermatitis or you are allergic to. Did you pull any weeds that day or brush aside any unfamiliar plants while in the woods? I have had the symptoms you describe from such a situation, especially the flaming hands!

     
  10. joebagodonuts

    joebagodonuts Morel Enthusiast

    16
    0
    1
    They were definitely pigskin puffballs. I did cut one in half just to see and found it black on the inside. I may not have been poisoned, but im still freaking myself out... As for eating any of what I harvested, I was soaking the hen of the woods I found with the puffballs so I tossed everything! I also agree that it could have been a plant that could be giving me the hot hands! Im doctor bound nonetheless. I need a chill pill. I have pics of everything on my FB at Joebagodonuts81.
     
  11. fogwhisper

    fogwhisper Morel Connoisseur

    224
    0
    0
    I have had that happen from washing hot peppers, I thought were bannana peppers and there is a weed (smartweed) that will do that, but never have had that reaction from mushrooms. to bad about the hen they are delicious.
     
  12. fogwhisper

    fogwhisper Morel Connoisseur

    224
    0
    0
    now that I look at all of your photos the picture of two puffballs are pigskins. the photo you have here, is of several smooth whitish puffballs not pigskins .oh and your kids are adorable :)
     
  13. pedro

    pedro Morel Connoisseur

    140
    1
    18
    Maybe those mushrooms were sprayed with insecticide.
     
  14. lynkage

    lynkage Morel Connoisseur

    290
    0
    0
    Hey,Joe.I'm always super cautious.When i'm hunting, I carry my mesh bags but also some paper lunch bags for shrooms i'm not 100% sure about.This keeps 'em seperated for me 'til i'm sure. I also like them seperate for proc essing so I can label them correctly when drying or freezing. Myself is one thing, but i'd never forgive myself for harming someone else! Please be careful and happy hunting!!