1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

"IS THIS HEAVEN? NO, ITS IOWA"

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by mushroommadman, May 5, 2016.

1. mushroommadman

mushroommadman Morel Enthusiast

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. almightymorel

almightymorel Morel Enthusiast

Great job I'm only at 42 gotta work harder I guess

3. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

madman, you have done it again. ok, elms, maples, what is your secret? I saw a picture of some up by the border yesterday. how far north where you? best i have seen all year. you got me dying here.

4. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Madman, here is my cell # give me a call if you can. 816-261-0112. I got tomorrow and then next year most likely.

5. mushroommadman

Kb- I was hitting spots in between Hwy 20 and Minnesota border. The spots close to Minnesota border were definitely smaller mushrooms. These were picked Monday afternoon and Tuesday 5/2 and 5/3. Lots of people out looking. Things were still not as good as I thought they should be. Everything looks right according to flowering plants and bushes that are tell-tale signs for finding mushrooms. Dead elms are mainly where I was finding most of them. Found a few around poplar trees and ash trees. Found a lot on 2nd year dead elms. Most of these were producing better than 1st year dead elms. Yeah, strange! So don't pass em up. No big finds around too many like years past. Did find one dead elm with 154 around it and another 71. (The 71 by the way was a 2nd year tree.) Only a hand full above 20. Most were 1-20. I always have been told and have told my kids where there's one there will be more. That theory was shot down this year. I found probably 10 trees with just one and they were perfect 1st year big dead elms. There were no signs that anybody had been there before me either. I stood there shaking my head every time and saying to myself how can this be, what a waste. I don't wear a pedometer, but I walked a lot. I got out to get gas after driving for 3 hours and I couldn't hardly walk. People were probably wondering what was wrong with me because I had to hold on to my vehicle to make it to the gas pump. Looked like a 90 year old man hobbling around. I think you'll find bigger ones around Hwy 20 if you beat people to them. If you get closer to the line and on up into Minnesota you might beat the rush and find fresher ones. Personally I would try to stay ahead of the rush and find the fresher ones. I don't know about you, but I hate finding spots where it looks like cattle have been grazing. :-?
    Good luck if you go, keep me posted. I might have to go again also. :roll:

6. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

madman, thanks. I may try a trip, but it is going to be a mega one day drive to get that far up. Have to be back for mothers day. You must have worked your butt off for those. On any particular slopes? I hate finding all those elm with nothing or one also, saw hundreds of those this year. I know the feeling of the gas pump cripple, looking and feeling like you need a double hip and knee replacement. My older brother climbs mountains for fun and tells me i need to stretch more every day to stay more limber. to lazy i guess.

7. mushroommadman

Was finding the smaller grays in shady spots and north slopes. Bigger yellows were mainly on tops of hills, but did find big grays on south slopes and low spots(valleys). However, found about 9 of the biggest yellows on this trip under some real thick underbrush kind of on a north facing slope. Hope this helps Kb. I told my wife I wish they had consulted with me and set Fathers Day in May. I can't complain though we have been picking on Mother's Day before. She loves it as much as I do.

8. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Great stuff, Madman! So nice.

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

madman, which side of 35 were you on, i figure east. Now i wish i would have worked harder last weekend. Got tired of driving. You got to either drive a lot and/or walk deep anymore to get away from the herd. Then sometimes you just get lucky. My first #8 were just luck someone else did not walk the 4 mile round trip in tall grass to some burned, dead, cottons, or a boat did not stop. If you had missed that 147 tree you would have been light almost a sack. Course a lot of that is knowing what you are doing, or at least I thought i did until this year. Heck, you almost beat my entire year in 2 days. I bet it felt good rolling home with those full sacks !