Ramp & Nettle Pics & Recipes

Discussion in 'Mushroom Dinner Pics & Recipes' started by triarchy, Apr 7, 2020.

1. triarchy

triarchy Morel Enthusiast

Post your current & past great looking Ramp and Nettle Pics & Recipes here.

2. triarchy

Ramp & Nettle Pesto

I like to make pesto's out of ramps and stinging or wood nettle. I think that pesto is one of the best ways to preserve the flavor of the plant after prolonged freezing. I use it in risotto, on pizza, added to a pasta sauce, and as a sauce for stir fry veggies a lot.

So the basic basil pesto recipe is as follows:

2C Basil-Tightly packed
    1/2 C cheese (parma or pecorino)
    3 cloves garlic
    1/4 C nuts-pine nuts are classic but I use mostly almonds and pistachios for the flavor
    1/2 C olive oil
    Salt & Pepper to taste

I use a food processor and just add all the ingredients and blend until smooth. I like this base pesto to be more of a paste, it freezes better. I add more olive oil when I want to eat it as a traditional oily pesto. When I use it as a cooking ingredient, its fine as is.

Ramp Pesto:

2C Ramp Leaves (no bulbs)-Tightly packed
    1/4 C nuts-pine nuts are classic but I use mostly almonds and pistachios for the flavor
    1/2 C olive oil
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Ive tried a quick saute on the ramp leaves and just using them raw. Raw imparts way more ramp flavor, so that is the way I do it all the time now. In general, I dont measure a lot, just taste. So if the 2C ramps dont have the ramp flavor you are wanting, just add more. Its sounds obvious, but start with a little and keep adding. You cant go back in time!

Nettle Pesto:

3C Nettle-Tightly packed before steaming-I use the top few leaves and stems from the young plants.
    3 cloves garlic
    1/2 C olive oil
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Nettle needs to be steamed for a few seconds before using due to the stinging aspect. I usually try for about 30 seconds or until the leaves just start wilting. Better safe than sorry, so use good judgement. When I pick nettle, I use surgical gloves. I can pick them bare handed, but it takes a lot more care. The sting isnt all that bad, but bad enough that I dont want it. I found heavier gloves make it hard to pick the young stems/leaves. If the 3C nettle dont have the nettle flavor you are wanting, just add more.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020

3. triarchy

Nettle and Ramp Soup

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 cups potatoes (I like Yukon Gold), chopped
    1 medium leek, washed well, chopped
    2C ramp leaves, use the bulbs as well but remove before measuring the leaves
    A handful of chives, plus extra for garnish
    4 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock works well too)
    4C of nettles-be careful when adding to soup so you dont get stung
    salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1/4 C heavy cream

Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes, leeks, and ramp bulbs, and toss them in the butter.
    Cover and sweat the vegetables over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until soft and translucent (make
    sure they don’t brown). Add the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the ramp leaves, chives, and nettle and simmer another 5-6 minutes or until the leaves are soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add heavy cream.

Blend in a blender until very smooth, I use an immersion blender and just do it in the soup pot. If you really want a creamy soup, strain it thru a fine sieve after blending (I dont bother doing this very often). Reheat, taste and re-season if necessary.

Morel Insanity and beagleboy like this.
  4. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Ramp & Morel Risotto

First get yourself some Ramps/Leeks.

I have a spot where they grow right next to a brook making cleaning easy.
    DSC03379.JPG

Broth, cut up Morel pieces, bowl of Ramp bulb cross-slices and Aborrio rice (one of a number of Risotto/rices).

DSC03384.JPG

I saute the Ramps & Morels separately.
    DSC03385.JPG

I get the risotto creamy and 80 % done and then add the Ramps and Morels.
    DSC03386.JPG

Glass of wine, salad and Ramp Morel Risotto. Satisfying!

DSC03387.JPG

5. Jtr

Jtr Morel Enthusiast

3928DE43-1CF4-4EAF-9E80-7D494AF93A7E.jpeg

2 people like this.
  6. Jtr

Jtr Morel Enthusiast

9C0A7786-DC7E-43B2-9B63-E75502D76FA3.jpeg French Ramp Soup...

7. Jtr

Jtr Morel Enthusiast

5D86A42B-2FE1-40A5-90E4-2C128BD94A14.jpeg

2 people like this.
  8. Jtr

Jtr Morel Enthusiast

14D55D6A-8404-4FB9-91EB-868269224A8F.jpeg Sun Dried Tomato & Ramp Pesto...