Reishi Outlook

Discussion in 'New York' started by crowdad, May 10, 2016.

1. crowdad

crowdad Young Morel

Hello fellow foragers !! I'm currently out of state and trying to get a feel for how the reishi season is looking. Is anyone seeing any pinning on the hemlocks yet? I'll only be in NY a short period and have many spots to pick but have no idea if this year will be any good. I'm hoping to stock up a years supply of tea for myself and a few family members. Some years that has been proven easy and others a bit harder. Last year there were tons of great specimens to be found. Any help in reporting sightings would be greatly appreciated as time home to visit the family is very valuable !!
    Thanks, Happy Hunting and GL !!

2. jcumo saratoga

jcumo saratoga Morel Connoisseur

I have been frequently checking my spots for reishi and oysters. Nothing happening yet. Still a little early for me here in Saratoga county. Normally they all start popping here about the last week of the month.

3. spanielmander

spanielmander Morel Enthusiast

I haven't been in woods heavy with hemlock lately but I'll keep an eye out. If you have multiple spots you'll probably be good.

4. audiophoenix

audiophoenix Morel Connoisseur

jcumo saratoga, been waiting to hear from you on Morels this year. Any luck? To me I only found two but in full sun just last week. In the woods it still seems early,

5. crowdad

crowdad Young Morel

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen !! Pinning should be pretty apparent by now as usually some can be picked in the first week June. I've noticed in years past that sometimes velvety pinning can be found a full year before actual fruiting. Again any future sightings would be great to hear about. Thanks again!!

6. keith rhizome

keith rhizome Young Morel

Found some nice pins around cobleskill, ny yesterday

7. jcumo saratoga

jcumo saratoga Morel Connoisseur

Reishi are all over saratoga and warren county.

audiopheonix - Sorry I havnt been on here much this year. Morels didnt treat me too well this year. I ended up with maybe 2 lbs. Of course after getting skunked last year it was still celebrated.

8. kosmam

kosmam Young Morel