Report 2019 SE Michigan Morel Finds Here.

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by Lost_Literati, Mar 28, 2019.

1. 15 minutes

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. A couple hours here and there

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. A few days

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Every single daylight hour of the season

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. What? I haven't come out of the woods since last season.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The leaves and the

I believe there are different types of Blacks. In your top picture did the stem attach slightly up into the cap as opposed to the bottom of the cap? If so I refer to those as "half frees"
    Pic number two I refer to that as a regular Black depending on where someone lives and hunts.
    I also find a different black when I hunt in Northern Michigan which I call 'Velvets"
    they are smaller with an almost perfectly conical cap, a stem that is smaller than a pencil and to my eye actually have a Velvet look.
    All opinions expressed here are from someone that has hunted for many years but still has more questions than answers when it comes to Morels. They do not give a damn what I think. Shroom on my friends

1 person likes this.
  2. mmh

Aspen will start off with smooth bark and as they age will start a very rough furrowed bark low. Ash are the same way. I have looked for the younger Ash in areas that others hunt hoping that they will not identify the younger tree. In general I have found that the smaller ones do not produce as well but once did find 20 under an Ash that was smaller than my thigh.

3. bung23

bung23 Morel Connoisseur

I am quite familiar with the half-free morel.... I actually found a few of them yesterday as well. I hunt an area that literally produces thousands of half-frees every year so I’m 100% positive that the morel I’m referring to is not a half free. The thin, pointy-cap black morel couldn’t be very mature since the season just started. Those morels weren’t a week old. Like all of you I’m sure, I’ve been hunting and researching morels for a long time and I’ve never heard of different species of blacks like you do with blondes. Just found it odd that two very distinctly different black morels were found in the same spot.

4. jms0001

jms0001 Morel Enthusiast

New spot is working out well. So far picked over 100 this morning. Love being able to get out before the weekend warriors

3 people like this.
  5. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I agree, bung! No way that's a half free. Even Kuo's book, Morels, states that the cap of a black morel can have kind of a rolled, undercut edge to it coming off the stem, but nowhere near as pronounced as that of a half free. There's a very precise pic of it in the book.

Admittedly some of Kuo's book has been rendered obsolete by recent DNA studies, which Kuo played a large part in, but I don't think it invalidates everything he wrote. Who really knows how many species of morel are really out there? With all the new info, and more coming every day, I don't know that the most knowledgeable mycologist in the world could come up with a definitive answer.

Who knows? Maybe the more "rounded" blacks will become greys once they get some sun on them.

2 people like this.
  6. bung23

bung23 Morel Connoisseur

I started hunting morels in ‘02. I primarily hunt Oakland County. I can’t believe how popular morel hunting has become. I remember back then I could go to any quality place I saw and find them. It was rare if I found someone’s stems. Now, you practically have to pick baby morels because if you leave them to get bigger, someone else will pick them. When I left the woods yesterday, there were at least a half dozen cars on the side of the road in a one mile stretch. Gotta get there quick....

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  7. mmh

2 people like this.
  8. R J

R J Young Morel

74C50978-6F42-4398-994D-7594DC69BE72.jpeg Does anyone know why this morel has a reddish stem?

9. bung23

bung23 Morel Connoisseur

I see that all the time. I see that most frequently when the area I’m hunting is damp, like around lowlands or swamps. I’m not sure what the scientific reason is tho......

R J likes this.
  10. bung23

bung23 Morel Connoisseur

11. SavantNcrc3

SavantNcrc3 Young Morel

New to, uh, "hunting" morels, I tripped over four a couple steps outside my backdoor in far SE Washtenaw county. One of them is clearly a keeper, but the others I cannot find any online reference for. Their caps are attached all the way around, their interior is hollow, but they have multiple layers as if a cluster all merged into one. Any thoughts or opinions from more knowledgeable people would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

12. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Wow! Those are crazy looking. When I first read your text, I thought you might be referring to Gyromitra. But that's not what those are. Those look like true morels that just sprouted too close to each other, and grew "into" each other. I remember when I first started hunting chickens and hens, hens in particular. One thing I read said to check really close when cleaning hens, since fungi will just grow around anything that's in their way. You can wind up with debris trapped inside the shroom itself.

1 person likes this.
  13. clutch2412

clutch2412 Morel Connoisseur

Usually get "rusty" when they are a bit older. Been in the elements a little too long. White to off white are fresher.

R J likes this.
  14. rtv

rtv Morel Enthusiast

upload_2019-5-11_21-20-50.png
    northville MI.....southfield MI tons of half free

15. rtv

rtv Morel Enthusiast

here are the half frees
    upload_2019-5-12_17-35-6.png

R J likes this.
  16. jms0001

jms0001 Morel Enthusiast

Definitely blacks, just a cluster growing together in my opinion. Nice back yard find!!

17. bung23

bung23 Morel Connoisseur

Just like what shroomsearcher said, at first glance, they looked like false morels (gyromitra, or beefsteak) but after looking closer, they are indeed true morels. I’ve found some that looked like that- they grew under a log which kinda smashed them as they grew.

18. James Bona

James Bona Young Morel

First time I have ever picked morels, but they were growing in my side yard in Rochester Hills, Oakland county. Had to verify online that they were the real deal. Grass had yet to be cut in an area under Poplar trees and a where a tree stump was ground up a few years ago. Picked about 18 nice size and filled about a 3 quart bucket.

19. bung23

bung23 Morel Connoisseur

Won’t let me open those pics...!

TJC likes this.