Sad State

Discussion in 'California' started by jdaniels313, Nov 20, 2019.

1. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

I know it's pretty bleak out here in the "Golden State" but are any of you native Californians finding anything? My buddys and myself have found some Slippery Jacks (Boletes) up in the mountains a ways but I haven't had time to check any of my Shaggy Mane 'honey holes'. Any luck at all out there?......... I know it's dry and warm; Man, am I ever ready for rain and winter!!......Happy Shroomin'.......

2. pacificcoasthiking

pacificcoasthiking Morel Enthusiast

JT, here on the central coast, because of the coastal fog/rain, we have found a couple pounds of chanterelles, should be thick with them right now. Normally about two inches of rain at this point. Rain on its way next week, should produce quite a few chanterelles around here.

1 person likes this.

3. Lisa Keating

Lisa Keating Morel Enthusiast

I am up in the Sierras over this Thanksgiving holiday. We are now in over a foot of snow. But I found some fairly dry mushrooms a few days ago before the weather turned. I’m not very good at identifying them yet, as I am new to Mushroom Hunting. I believe they are bollettes? Can you advise what they are if you know please. Thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. jdaniels313

The first one is DEFINITELY NOT a bolete! It has gills on the underside whereas boletes have pores. (It kinda looks like a sponge) and usually a yellowish or whitish color. Though I can't be sure from the picture, it looks like a Russula from here. (don't eat it) The second one is hard to see the underside well. It almost looks like a tooth mushroom of some kind. I guess those could be pores, but I can't tell.Though the top looks familiar it's probably not a bolete either. Don't eat them just to make sure. Be careful, but keep on shroomin'.......!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  5. jdaniels313

download.jpg images (3).jpg images.jpg images (2).jpg images (1).jpg
    Hey Lisa, here's some examples of boletes so you can see the underside. Hope it helps! Happy Shroomin'....

1 person likes this.
  6. Lisa Keating

7. Lisa Keating

I found
    Some of them in clusters. Here’s a few more pictures

Attached Files:

8. Lisa Keating

9. Lisa Keating

I picked a few and this is a picture of their underbelly. When I picked them they were a golden/green color but they are turning browner now.

I will not eat them, I’m just hunting them at this point and only eating mushrooms from the grocery store :)

Attached Files:

10. jdaniels313

Those are definitely from the right family group; They look a lot like Slippery Jacks that I get out here in CA. (which is actually a Suillus luteus mushroom) Just peel off the skin on the cap and they are a good edible; The last photo tells me they are an older outcropping; the underside should be yellow when young and the holes in the stem show signs of bugs. I think they beat you to them! Cool find though! Here are some photos; as you can see they vary in cap color but the pores underneath is what really nails it. Happy Shroomin'... Suillus_luteus_475376.jpg 29.jpg Species15302-2-W330-MinH330-MaxH330.jpg

1 person likes this.