Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out a couple of times getting my legs warmed up the the season. I kept my eyes peeled for the first morel of the season but so far have not seen one. Can't get to one of my early spots due to the parks being closed. Arrgh! I usually use that spot as a barometer to the beginning of the season.

Anyone else had any luck yet in the St. Louis area? I believe it should be a good season as long as the rain levels stay good and no hard freeze hits unexpectedly. Good luck to all!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Morelmama I spent a couple of hours in the woods today...NADA! Can't hunt in my regular spots either so I was hitting some new areas i been wanting to try for a couple of years. Really think it's not going to be long now. Hope to hear from other shroomers - what's happening?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I am a 100% newbie. I went out this morning into the woods and was looking near what I believe would be a decent area and saw nothing, I would love
Some tips If possibly from you veterans. I figured this would be a great tradition to start with the kids. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to produce one yet so kind of hard to share knowledge lol

·
Super Moderator
2,123 Posts
Been out a couple of times getting my legs warmed up the the season. I kept my eyes peeled for the first morel of the season but so far have not seen one. Can't get to one of my early spots due to the parks being closed. Arrgh! I usually use that spot as a barometer to the beginning of the season.

Anyone else had any luck yet in the St. Louis area? I believe it should be a good season as long as the rain levels stay good and no hard freeze hits unexpectedly. Good luck to all!!!!!
Good Hunting Thank You

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Cal 1089 There's a lot of good info on the internet as to types of trees (with photos), timing of the season based on temps & foliage, terrain, etc. so there's no point in me repeating all of that here.

What I'd like to tell you is don't give up. There's really no magic to mushroom hunting. The magic is to get out there and just do it. Be sure to take time to actually enjoy the hunt. . . the smell of the woods, the animals, snakes, & turtles you'll come across. Watching the woods come alive each spring as the season moves forward is almost a religious experience - at least for me. The thrill of finding those elusive morels is great but really it's just one part of the fun. My mom started taking me when I was five. Sometimes dad came along too but mostly mom & I and I cherish those long ago memories. Good luck to you. Just remember the more you do it, the better you'll get. Have patience. Let me know how it goes for you this year!

·
Super Moderator
2,123 Posts
Wow.. Yall are Bringing in some Beautys
Thank You for Your Excellent Reporting and information..
We are Finding in Indiana Now..
almost State Wide.. its About to get t Really Popping Here so get ready to see lots of Findings and pictures Posted here on Our Indiana Thread

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got a chance to go out yesterday. Found a few grays. Most small to medium size. No yellows yet. Unlike a previous poster, we found no half frees at all. Also no blacks. I've really been on a black drought for the last couple of years. Has anyone done well in the last few years around here with blacks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great finds MoShroomer. Thanks for sharing the pics...they give me hope
I'm a newbie to the hunt and definitely have a lot to learn...but I'm a searchin'.
..barely found these little guys yesterday...a first for me! 20200414_192014.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts