1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

SE KS Morel season started, but.....

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by jc, Apr 3, 2016.

1. jc

jc Young Morel

The Southeast KS Morel season is ready to get started better, If we get rains & soon! I went out on April 1st & found 18 Morels, all sizes from greys to yellows, which suprised me, as I typically always find greys, before the yellows pop up on most years... Again, Rain must come & soon or this season is gonna be a bust......

Here's a pic of some of the April 1st, 2016 Morels I picked........ ][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. xdraco

xdraco Young Morel

New member to the site. Wanted to provide a little encouragement that they are starting. Last week I found 3 solitary morels that were half dried out, seems like they popped up before the cold nights we've had the last couple weeks.

But found a dozen fresh ones yesterday in Southeast KS. Same thing here JP, it was a mix of both Greys and Yellows all within about 50yds of each other. They weren't there a week ago when I checked. This is one of my good early spots on the Southeast Bank of a small pond in the woods. Walked about 4 extra miles yesterday on new ground and didn't see any. So I would say later this week will be good in moist areas.

Sarah likes this.

3. hungryforshrooms

hungryforshrooms Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the encouraging words...I went out Friday and found nothing. We need some rain badly...

4. xdraco

xdraco Young Morel

I left a few of the smaller morels standing on that pond Sunday, went back and checked them yesterday, 2 days later and they are all dried out with no new ones popping. Found a few other solitary growers, all dry or half-dried out. So my encouragement is gone until the rain comes.

5. dchitw

dchitw Morel Enthusiast

Last year was my worst year ever till this year. I've probably found 30 this year and none in my best spots. I'm in Cowley County. I will try to post a picture of my largest one but most have been small this year. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  6. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur

GOOD TO SEE ! What does your undergrowth look like right now. Here is what it looks like over here. Very very slow start to the year.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElBqGZ0h358[/video]

Sarah likes this.