Shaggy mane ( Coprinus comatus )

Discussion in 'Mushroom Dinner Pics & Recipes' started by jack, Aug 20, 2019.

1. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Battered & Fried Shaggy manes. 100_7317.JPG

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  2. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

This is my Favorite Shaggy mane recipe ! Chicken & Shaggy mane Tetrazzini. Scan.jpeg IMGP0019.JPG IMGP0001.JPG

3. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

I need to try these Shaggy manes. I found a bunch last year but never picked them and just took pics. Looks delish.

2 people like this.
  4. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Jmay, the best way to taste test them is to slice them in half, lengthwise. Then sauté them on medium to medium low heat till all the liquid is dissolved, then add butter and sauté a little longer. Season with salt & pepper. 100_7323.JPG

Jmay and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

Thanks Jack..will do just that if I find some more.
    20181012-161430.jpg

2 people like this.
  6. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Unfortunately I found this spot too late. I did get enough hard buttons to make a nice dish though.

7. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

Do the Shaggy mane re-fruit in the same spots from previous year finds ? like alot of other types do. Thanks!

8. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

I find them in the same areas . There's a church yard where I've found them for around 8 years so far. Some years there's more than other years. Guess it depends on the rain that season.

9. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

Out here in CA. they fruit in the same spots every season as long as someone doesn't tear up the area they are growing in. By the way, I slice my Shaggy Manes length wise, dip them in egg that I previously whipped up (with a splash of milk) then cover them in Progresso Italian bread crumbs and fry them in 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil. It's to die for!! Give it a try; you won't be sorry! (and you'll be hooked!).

10. jdaniels313

That's an awesome video Jack! That's a Shaggy Mane forest if I ever seen one! Cool, cool video!

2 people like this.
  11. jdaniels313

2 people like this.